View Thread

Print Thread
Founder of Coastguards of Yesteryear has Passed Away
Philip
coastguardsofyesteryear.org/images/death_of_founder.jpg

It is with deep sadness that I must inform you that the founder of Coastguards of Yesteryear and my father Tony Daly has passed away after a short illness.

He became deeply passionate about the history of the service from what started out as a small genealogy hobby. For many years he researched, collated and shared whatever he could get his hands on amassing a unique collection of documents and images from all over.

He travelled the country visiting over 170 stations both current and historic collecting information and taking many photographs all of which are on this site. Never one for the limelight, he preferred to work behind the scenes reading and researching. People from all over the world would write to him with questions or to share documents.

This became a lot easier with the advent of the internet and through this site we were able to make all of the vast information he had collected available instantly and CoY has been online in one for or another for over 20 years amassing 10's of millions of visits.

He especially loved the "little" stories about the people who lived and worked in those times many of which he would include in The Coastguard Cutter newsletter which ran for many years.

He will be deeply missed by his family and friends for his good humour and kind heart.
RIP Tony Daly 1927 - 2021

Regards,
Philip

LeanneC
My condolences to you and your family

Eudora
Sincere condolences on Tony's passing. What a great resource he bequeathed to the world - a true genealogist!

crimea1854
It is with profound sadness that I read of Tony’s passing. This site remains a lasting legacy for his enthusiasm and contribution to keeping alive the memory of the Coastguards who lived and worked in Ireland. My condolences to you and your family.

Martin

liv
I'm so sorry to hear of Tony's passing. His help and enthusiasm when I first joined this wonderful site many years ago were much appreciated, and the information he has made available is extraordinary.

Condolences to Philip and family

Olivia

Jump to Forum: