View Thread

Print Thread
George Johns Coastguard RN
Ruth2020
Hi there

I am wondering if it is possible to get information on my GGG GF George Johns who I am currently researching. I am sure he joined the Navy from England possibly Devon area but was stationed on a ship in Cork when he married Mary Connelly in 1867. At this time he was either a sailor or a Tailor.

By the time his first daughter is born he has become a stoker and when my GG GF Thomas Johns is born he is a coastguard still stationed in Cork. He then goes on to have another five children who are all born in Donegal all different parishes as far as I can see not sure if this makes a difference or not. Inniscoo, Glentries, Dungloe, and Crowey. George Johns continues to be a Coastguard. I know for sure one of the children passed away in infancy and I am almost certain another one did also.

I would love to find out if there are any records of his time as a coastguard and to find out more about what his life would have been like in Ireland and when his RN service finished. As far as I can tell I think he brought the family back to England at some point. I think possibly by about 1885 to 1890. I know that his wife Mary Connelly passed away at some point before 1896 but not sure if this was before he left Ireland or not.

I have attempted to try and find records from other avenues but have so far had no luck.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ruth

Jump to Forum: