View Thread

Print Thread
Crimea War Service
bodad
Can you tell me where I can get more information about the Wm H Jenkins who served on HMS Fury during the Crimea War? I'm hoping that he is the William Henry Jenkins who was born in Co Cork in 1839. That would put him at just 15 years old at the time. However, I know that the William Henry born in 1839 was applying to become a Trinity House Pilot in Cornwall in 1861 (from the census) and would have had to have served several years in the navy to qualify him for that role.

Thanks,

Tim

crimea1854
Hi Tim

I think it highly unlikely that the W H Jenkins on HMS Fury was only 15. This man is rated as an Assistant Engineer 3rd Class, where a 15 year-old would have been rated a 'Boy'. If you really wanted to confirm this, then you would have to consult Fury's Description Book at the National Archives.

Martin

bodad
Martin,

Thanks for the information. A pity that I wasn't just lucky for once. Do you have any ideas on where a Co Cork based Coastguard might send his son in the early 1850s to join the navy? I don't know that William Henry Jenkins did join as a boy, but he must have had some experience to be able to apply to become a Trinity House Pilot in St Mawes in 1861.

Thanks,

Tim

bodad
Martin,

I did consult HMS Fury's muster list and the plot thickens. Can you have a look at the attachment? I can't work out how to add more than one so I'll post another reply to put the whole page up. Questions:
Under whence and whether prest or volunteer, it appears to say HM Ship Teneriffe per appointment. I can't find any ship of this name, let alone HMS. What did this mean?
The name looks to me like Willm H Jenkins Assistant Engineer Third Class and he has a medal record for the Crimean Medal but I can't find any naval records of service for him. Any ideas?
He was paid off on 18 October 1835. What does AD 334 mean?

Thanks,

Tim

bodad
OK so I'll try to attach the file again
bodad attached the following image:
hmsfurymusterwhjenkins.jpg

bodad
Aha! It doesn't like spaces in the filename!

Here's the tope of the page with William Henry at the bottom (the rest below have been cropped to reduce the filesize).

Thanks,

Tim
bodad attached the following image:
hmsfurymusterlistno2commissionedofficerscivilbranch.jpg

crimea1854
Tim

At the time of the Crimean War there was a significant shortage of men with an engineering background, as a result the navy took anyone they could get who was remotely connected with engineering. You have to remember that steam power was relatively in its infancy as far as the navy was concerned at this time.

This is a guess on my part, but Jenkins may have joined HMS Fury at Tenerife, having travelled there on a British merchant ship. To test this theory you would need to consult Fury’s Log to see where she was on the date he joined.

Just out of interest I checked the officers service records and found a William Hardy Jenkins who appears to have joined the Navy on the 14th March 1854 – rather a coincidence! Perhaps it’s worth the £3.50 to see if this is the same WHJ that joined Fury?

http://www.nation...ultcount=6

Regards

Martin

bodad
Martin,

I'll check the log next time I'm at TNA. Not what I was hoping to hear but at least if it's William Hardy Jenkins, it solves the puzzle. Thanks for your help.

Tim

NatdL
Just got hold of an HMS Fury scale model. However, its box is damaged a bit and I was wondering if any detailed color picture of the destroyer is available. Thanks
[commercial link removed]

crimea1854
Hi

Since you have posted this in relation to a thread on the Crimean War I'm assuming that you are looking for information on the HMS Fury built June 1845. I can't supply any information on Fury, but if you visit the National Maritime Museums website and search the 'Ship Models' collection, there are models of Tiger and Rhadamanthus, both of which are side-wheel paddle warships of the same period.

Just out of interest, who is the maker of the model you have?

Martin

Jump to Forum: