The Coastguard Cutter Vol1 No4

April 2003
Vol 1 - No.4.

The "Lady Margaret"

 |M@il Me | Visit the Website |


New Station Photos;



Crosshaven Co.Cork


At the end of the 1914-1918 War it became obvious that trouble would break out as Ireland was intent on independence. Women and children were evacuated and Marines were posted with the reduced Coastguard crews. Some stations were burnt out and two Coastguards were killed defending their station.


Latest Additions;

Station updates: It has been brought to my notice that Oysterhaven, Co. Cork which has ivy-covered ruins of the old coastguard station is to get a brand-new Station manned by the new Irish Coastguard Service in mid May.
Good Luck!!


J.B.TUCKER Commissioned Boatman Coastguard 11th July 1882 River Liffey, Dublin

C.BRADY Waterguard H.M.Customs 5th August 1890 Dublin

BIRCH,B. Coastguard. 4th.August 1865. Cultra, Ireland.

Dear Friend,

Welcome to the April edition of "The Coastguard Cutter".


Breaking News: Some new friends in the New Irish Coastguard Service tell me that efforts are underway to create a Coastguard Museum in the old station Crosshaven.

Officers house contains 6 rooms, kitchen and scullery. Mens houses 11 in number contain 4 rooms and kitchen each. Watch-house attached to buildings. Boat-house on the beach opposite Officers house. The houses were erected by the Crown in 1864. Water laid on to 11 houses, cost £167-2-6d. in 1920.

I would be glad to receive any coastguard information and pass it on in to our readers and hope to be able to send out the newsletter on a regular basis.


Irish Times 6th.September 1920.

Ringsend Coastguard Station raided.

Ringsend CG StationLast night a number of men stated to number about a hundred, armed and masked, raided the Coastguard station at Ringsend, Dublin and took away about 6 revolvers, some ammunition and a quantity of bandoliers. They quickly went off and have not been discovered.

Irish Times 1st.July 1921.

Friday. Yesterday morning an attempt was made to burn Ringsend Coastguard Station, Dublin.

Coastguard Station set on fire by raiders.Considerable damage by fire was done yesterday morning to the Coastguard Station at Pigeonhouse Road, Ringsend, Dublin. It appears that shortly after Eight o’clock a party of armed men entered the building and intimated that they were going to destroy it. The coastguards were given time to get out their families and remove their furniture. The interior of the station was then sprinkled with petrol and set on fire..Immediately afterwards the raiders left. The Dublin Fire Brigade were summoned to the scene at 8.30 am., and the Tara Street section attended, but found on arrival that the flames had been extinguished by the coastguards. Considerable damage had however been done to the station and contents before the outbreak was subdued.

The official report of the outrage issued yesterday is as follows :- This morning a number of civilians set fire to the Coastguard Station at Ringsend. A constable observed smoke issuing from the building, summoned the Fire Brigade, and the flames were speedily extinguished. But not before considerable damage was done.

Irish Times 6th.July 1921.

Incendiaries made another unsuccessful attempt to burn Ringsend Coastguard Station on Monday night. Incendiarism in Dublin.

Attempt to burn Coastguard Station.

A second attempt within a week was made on Monday night to destroy the Coastguard Station at Ringsend Road, Dublin, by fire, but the efferts of the raiders again proved unsuccessful. It appears that about 8.30 pm., it being then broad daylight, a party of about 50 armed civilians appeared in the vicinity of the Coastguard Station and ordered out the inhabitants including the wives and children of the men. They then sprinkled the place with petrol, set it alight, and took their departure promptly. Crown forces arrived on the scene, and assisted the Coastguards in extinguishing the flames which was done before the damage had become extensive.

An official report issued yesterday states :- Yesterday about 50 armed men raided the Coastguard Station at Pigeon House Road, Dublin and ordered the coastguards and their families to leave. They then sprinkled the premises with petrol and set them on fire, but the flames were extinguished before much damage was done.



The 231 ton, 10 gun brig sloop. Wizard, was wrecked on Seal Rock (Roancarraig Beag) at Berehaven on 8-2-1859. Initially, gun signals were ignored but the coastguard later obtained a large rowboat and a small one. Lieut. Helby and 42 crew were rescued despite great risk. A subscription was raised in London to reward the gallantry but no award was received. The Cherokee class brig had been built in 1830 at Pembroke DY


The Leon, of Rouen was driven across the Bay and Wrecked on 29-4-1842. Captain Esclapon and all the crew were lost in view of Castletownbere. The cargo was brandy and 53 casks were washed ashore. Over consumption caused the death of one man. Another was saved by his wife who forced butter down his throat to make him sick)


The coal schooner ROBERT BROWN was driven ashore near the Bailey at Dublin on the 27th.October 1880. The vessel was caught by an ENE gale and could not enter the port of Dublin. As the Ringsend coastguards were in Dun Laoghaire at drill the lifeboat was manned by soldiers to save two of the crew of four. The captain John Curran and Two men were lost. The survivors described how the Flying Dutchman and a Tedcastle collier had passed without rendering assistance. (1)


Although the "Grateful" is described in press accounts of her stranding near Torr Head as a trawler, there is good reason to believe she was employed on war service. Snow, and gale, made conditions when she was driven ashore just 100 yards from Lloyds Signal Station late in the evening of 25th. March 1916. The station telephoned the Portrush lifeboat secretary, but when he called the crew out it became apparent there was a reluctance to leave the harbour in the high seas running. When the Torr Head coastguards arrived on the scene, they too felt it suicidal to launch their small boat, and at 2.40 a.m. another phone-call was made to Portrush to try to turn out. The harassed secretary eventually rounded up enough men prepared to go with five volunteers from Portstewart. The Portrush lifeboat eventually arrived at 9 a.m. only to find the nine crew of the Grateful had been rescued by the coastguards at 6.20 a.m. As can be imagined, this incident caused quite a furore in Portrush and district, but one point that was made was that when the lifeboat did put out more than six hours after the original call, the swell had moderated somewhat and first light was dawning. (2)



Bernard Scarlett, "Shipminder, The Story of Her Majesty's Coastguard."

The Ministry of Defence collection of Ships portrait photographs has been transferred to the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London SE I 6HZ.

You can also find links to other websites here
References :
  1. ‘Shipwrecks of the Irish Coast’ by Edward J.Bourke. Vol. 1. p.22
  2. 'Shipwrecks of the Ulster Coast’ by Ian Wilson. p.126

To unsubscribe from this newsletter just click here

Copyright © 2003 [coastguards of yesteryear]. All rights reserved.


0 Comments · 14223 Reads · Print  -> Posted by Tony on June 17 2007


No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.