View Thread

Print Thread
John Carroll
mary jordan
I am trying to trace where my Granduncle might have been stationed.He was posted to the New Coastguard Force after 25 yrs service with The British Navy on May 1st 1919.
I have drawn a blank with online research and hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
John Carroll joined the Navy in 1892 and came from Ringabella,Co. Cork.
mary jordan

crimea1854
Mary welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming that you have already purchased John's service record from the National Archives (NA). However, available as a free download from the NA is his Coastguard Record card, this is contained on ADM 175/82A (pdf 716 and 717), but one word of caution this is a very large file so takes a little time to download.

In addition to service information this also contains dates of birth for children, but only indicates their sex not their names.

I also note from the WW1 medal roll that he was awarded the 14-15 Star, BWM and Victory Medal all sent to HM CG at Queenstown.

Martin

mary jordan
Thanks for your help.I will try to download that file and see what i can find out.
Thanks for the information on the Medals.Why would they be sent to Queenstown?
Mary
mary jordan

crimea1854
Mary, medals for CG's were sent to the District for distribution to the men then working in that particular district. Let me know if you have a problem downloading the record card.

Martin

mary jordan
Martin
Had no luck with opening the file.It was saying that the file was damaged,
Has anybody else had the same trouble?
Mary
mary jordan

crimea1854
Mary

The National Archives have changed their format for these files and I have experienced a similar problem, hence the reason for my previous comment.

As an administrator I have your private email address, so I will attempt to copy the relevant pages and send them to you.

Martin

mary jordan
Thanks Martin,
Great if you can do that
Mary
mary jordan

Jump to Forum: