View Thread

Print Thread
llandovery Castle Sinking
pomeus
My ggfather, Robert SHARP, WAS THE BOATSWAIN ON THE HMHS lLANDOVERY cASTLE WHEN IT WAS SUNK BY A GERMAN U-BOAT, 27 June, 1918. He came from a longline of seafarers, born in Shetland.
His brother William, was in charge of vessels going out of Liverpool and his nephew was Rudolph SHARP, captain of the Lancastria, when it also went down in 1940.
The Llandovery Castle was sunk just off Fastnet, Ireland, and I am hoping someone may be able to share any info they might have on my SHARP mARINER fAMILY.
ROBERT married a ROSINA GRACE GALLAGHER, BORN C 1868, dONEGAL, IN aUSTRALIA. i HAVE NO INFORMATION ON HER WHATSOEVER OTHER THAN HER PARENTS WERE EDWARD GALLAGHER AND SARAH MCHUGH. IN A SHETLAND NEWSPAPER SHE IS MENTIONED AS HAVING RECEIVED COMPENSATION THROUGH A lONDON COURT FOR THE LOSS OF LIFE OF HER HUSBAND, ROBERT SHARP.
i BELEIVE THE TRIAL, THE LEIPZIG TRIALS took place May 23, 1921, charging german officers for acts against humanity and war .
I would really love to find out as much as I possibly can about my ggfather Robert SHARP and my ggmother, Rosina Grace SHARP nee Gallagher.
Kind Regards,
Pam Eustice nee SHARP, (SOUTH AUSTRALIA)

crimea1854
Pam

I'm afraid this period of history is outside my 'comfort zone', however, a trawl of the internet threw up the following web site:

http://www.unionc..._defg.html

Can I suggest that you contact Owen and put your question to him.

Also, you are know doubt aware that R Sharp is commemorated on the Austrailian Merchant Seamans Memorial in Camberra.

One final point Sharp would have been entitled to the Merchantile Marine Navy Medal. There is no roll for this medal, but at the National Archives @ Kew there is a card index of all the medals issued. Unlike other WW1 medals this had to be applied for, which in the case of a deceased men is perhaps unlikely.

Regards

Martin

pomeus
Martin,
THANKYOU SO MUCH for your email. I have searched Owen's site but cannot find my ggfather, Robert SHARP, SO HAVE SENT HIM AN EMAIL .
I hope to one day make a trip to the Canberra War Memorial. I have only recently returned home from my first trip to Shetland to track down lost family. I will also email the National Archives and enquire about the Mercantile Merchant Navy Medal as I would dearly love to see it go to the newly opened Shetland Museum.
Thankyou again,
Regards Pam Eustice nee SHARP

Jump to Forum: