View Thread

Print Thread
Jonathon Calf 1753 to 1812
calf
I am trying to locate information regarding Jonathon Calf, born in Fowey 1753. He may have been in the Royal Navy at Chatham, Kent around 1756-1763, though I do not know what is occupation was with the Navy. He then returned to Fowey in 1763 and was employed as a Ropemaker in Cornwall, before becoming a SALT officer. I dont know what a SALT officer 's role was - can anyone enlighten me?

He is also believed to have been involved in a smuggling incident in Fowey in Jan 1779, when he was one of only four allowed boatmen, presumably relating to the Custom / Excise/Revenue service (apparently mentioned by George Pritchard in a book, but I have been unable to obtain it at this time).

I believe this person to be my great x 6 grandfather, so would be really grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks
Anthony (Calf)

MChown
Hello Anthony,

I too am descended from Jonathan Calf of Fowey who was my 5th great-grandfather. I am descended through his son Philip Calf (1759-1791) who married Rebecca Ford at St. Hilary, Cornwall on 30 August 1782. My 3xgreat-grandmother was Arabella Ford Calf (1785-1869), a sister of Philip Calf who was a coastguard in Ireland before returning to live in Cornwall. I have done a considerable amount of research into the lineage of Jonathan Calf which I can share with you if you would like to contact me. My email address is MChown@AOL.com

All the best,

Mary

(Chown nee Nicholls)

Jump to Forum: