View Thread

Print Thread
naval records
sutton frizzell
i have a puzzle with records i have found about my 2 times grandfather henry frizzell. my grandmothers father henry sutton frizelle on his wedding certificate named his father as henry sutton frizelle coastguards officer. in 1845 this henry was ab on hms suberb, his pay being sent to catherine his mother at whitegate cove cork. he married helena carey in 1848, and in 1849 his pay was going to helena at whitegate cove cork. he was serving on hms ganges. this is last record for henry. in 1846 sutton frizzell was serving on hms constance, his pay was going to his mother catherine at whitegate cove cork. sutton frizzell has a navy record which say's he was born wexford 1817, apprenticed 1827. private service 5years,(america) . joined navy 28 of ? 1845 cork. i think he retired 1868. he was involved in rescues at ballycroneen (bronze medal). sutton married catherine mccarthy in 1853 he was a widower, father richard frizzell superannuated coastguard. when henry married in 1848 his father was richard frizzell coastguard boatman. are henry and sutton the same man or brothers. any help welcome, thanks.

wpickeri
You will note that on Sutton Frizzle's ADM29 service record, his Ship's Books numbers are listed. In checking allotments for HMS Constance, you will find that the allotment SB Number matches what is on his ADM29 - number 376. When we pick his next ship, HMS Superb, and repeat, the ship's book numbers for Herny sutton DO NOT match Frizzle's ADM29, so we should conclude NOT the same man. How they are related, is anyone's guess, but doubt they are brothers since different last names. To further confuse, which you already know, allotment on HMS Ganges shows Frizzle, and yet his ADM29 does not show HMS Ganges - how many Sutton Frizzle's can be in the RN? May be a ADM29 mistake, which I have seen before, so instead of Superb, he serves Ganges. Hope this helps, cheers, Pick

sutton frizzell
thanks for your lnterest, just had a quick check on national archives and both men had their name written frizzell,and both were having wages sent to catherine frizzell mother when they were single at whitegate cove. henry frizzell married helena carey at aghadda parish church in 1848(aged) 24 he was the son of richard frizzell a superannuated coastguard. sutton frizzell aged 31 in 1853 a widower married catherine mccarthy. his father was richard frizzell a retired coastguard, this was also at aghadda parish church. thanks.

wpickeri
OK, brothers - well done, it appears you didn't really need meSmile

Jump to Forum: