View Thread

Print Thread
Copplestone/Williams/
margarb
Thanks for all your past help on the above coastguard family. Much appreciated.

I have I think been able to work backwards from letters written in 1916 by my Grandma's cousin - a William T Anderson (son of Catherine (nee Copplestone) and Ruebin Anderson) .

Therefore - I feel I may be able to claim the coastguard - Joseph Copplestone to be my Gt Gt Grandfather.

From information given me via kind folk on your site - Joseph joined in 1821 at Fowey. I have the download from National Archives. Sadly no personal details though.

Martin tells me he found whilst surfing the net - Joseph fell to his death off a cliff at Old Head in January 1847. I have tried to find this information - but failed. Do you remember where you found this please Martin ?
Would records exist of this accident? Also - try everywhichway - I cannot find a Birth - Marriage - Death - certs anywhere for him. I believe he was born in the UK. Frown

I hope the above all makes some sense -
I really have appreciated all your help in the past and have collected all your given evidence.

Thanks ---- Margaret

iain
Dear Margaret,

As of today, I also claim Joseph Copplestone - to be my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather.

My family are from Folkestone, Kent, and I have long known that my Gt Gt Grandfather John Anderson served as a coastguard in Westport, Ireland before being posted to the Pelter Brig in East Wear Bay, Folkestone. I have also learnt that he married an Irish girl called Louisa whilst in Ireland, but until I obtained a copy of my Great Grandfather's Birth certificate - which arrived today - I did not know her maiden name was Copplestone.

A quick "google" led me to this site - which I have perused before - and I think I can deduce fron the other thread on this subject that John and Louisa married on 27th September 1847 just three months after Louisa's father - our Joseph - drowned on 27th June 1847. They had eight children (including my great-grandfather Charles Malcolm and Folkestone's last Town Crier John "Chopper" Anderson - google him!) and both died in Folkestone, John in 1896 and Louisa in 1914.

What is also interesting - if I have got this correct - is that Louisa's younger sister Catherine also married an Anderson - Ruebin. Did the Copplestone girls have a penchant for Andersons, or maybe Catherine met Ruebin through John - his brother or cousin perhaps? Unfortunately, I am still trying to find out about John, I have some details of his coastguard record, marriage, children & death, but as yet I know nothing of his parents and siblings.

I very much want to obtain a copy of their marriage certificate, I've located dates & indexes but it seems the Irish GRO is not as easy as the British one! But I've only learnt all this today, so please give me time.

I wondered if you could embellish my info at all? I'm interested on what Copplestone information you have.

Salutations to a distant relative!

Best Regards,

Iain Anderson

margarb
Dear Iain,

Salutations to you also Iain! Nice to hear that we seem to share a Joseph Copplestone.

I wonder if you have read my postings in this forum - ie: 25 March - Westport Coastguards - and another on the 15 April titled Pidgeon Point/Old Head ??

I was helped enormously by the Coastguards site folk.

I shall give you my e-mail address ::

[mail] margaret_baxter@bigpond.com.au[/mail]

Would this be easier to send you what information I have on my Copplestone's? If not - I am happy to post via this site.

Kind regards,

Margaret Baxter (Perth Western Australia)

alancs
Dear Margaret,

I have come across your post here because I also have been looking information up about John "Chopper" Anderson who was one of Catherine Copplestone's children. I am the Gt Gt Gt Grandchild of "Chopper" Anderson and have found a lot of information out about both him and his family.

Catherine's partner and "Chopper"s dad was a coastguard on board the Pelter Brig and originally they came from Ireland. The Pelter Brig was ran aground off the coast at Folkestone along the Warren on purpose to act as a coastguard ship. The Andersons lived on board the ship for a long time along with 8 other families. They soon moved up into Coastguard Cottages.

"Chopper" Anderson was very popular as he was the last town crier of Folkestone and entered many competitions especially in Boston. He was also known for upsetting Lord Radnor who owned most of Folkestone at the time. "Chopper" once got a man to row him out to sea where he used a megaphone to shout his cries that could be heard from the bandstand on top of the Leas.

"Chopper" also learnt as an apprentice from his Dad and was quite a character when he was hitting the age of 10 and beyond because there are reports of him stealing his father's gun (canon) and firing it out to sea. He was publicly throttled by his father in front of hundreds of people who came because they heard the canon go off. This even got into the newspaper because it was such a big occasion.

His uniform was given to him as a gift and I would love to trace this down because I have seen both his bell and photographs and paintings of him and just need to find his uniform. However Folkestone Library's Heritage Room have a lot of information about Andersons and the Pelter Brig which is how I have found out so much about him.

I hope this helps some of you!! If not then I hope you found it a little bit interesting!

Regards..Alan

iain
Dear Alancs,

Margaret has kindly alerted me to this post - I am a great-grandchild of John "Chopper" Anderson's brother, Charles Malcolm Anderson, making Chopper my Great-Great-Uncle. I've been aware - and quite proud - of him for a very long time and I have a transcript of an article from the Folkestone Herald about the Pelter Brig, and other information which you may already have....
I've tried attaching a picture I have of him.

Could you send me an email so we could compare notes? We have a Great-Great-Grandfather in common (we are second - or thrid cousins?) who was a Coastguard in Westport - and I believe fought in the Crimean War? And he married the daughter of Margaret (and our) GGG Grandfather three months after he tragically fell to his death (in 1847). And our family myth - which I need to research - is Chopper & Charles's Grandfather (our GGG Grandfather in the Anderson line) was at Trafalgar in Nelson's navy.....

But this is a Coastguards of Ireland so I don't think this is the place?

I haven't been able to do much genealogy lately - I have a few threads I am desperate to research.

Best Regards,

Iain Anderson

iain
Dear Alancs,

Margaret has kindly alerted me to this post - I am a great-grandchild of John "Chopper" Anderson's brother, Charles Malcolm Anderson, making Chopper my Great-Great-Uncle. I've been aware - and quite proud - of him for a very long time and I have a transcript of an article from the Folkestone Herald about the Pelter Brig, and other information which you may already have....
I've tried attaching a picture I have of him.

Could you send me an email so we could compare notes? We have a Great-Great-Grandfather in common (we are second - or thrid cousins?) who was a Coastguard in Westport - and I believe fought in the Crimean War? And he married the daughter of Margaret (and our) GGG Grandfather three months after he tragically fell to his death (in 1847). And our family myth - which I need to research - is Chopper & Charles's Grandfather (our GGG Grandfather in the Anderson line) was at Trafalgar in Nelson's navy.....

But this is a Coastguards of Ireland so I don't think this is the place?

I haven't been able to do much genealogy lately - I have a few threads I am desperate to research.

Best Regards,

Iain Anderson

Jump to Forum: