View Thread

Print Thread
Charles Costick
john costick
Charles Costick was a Coastguard from 1837 -1865 . Born between 1806-1809 in Seaford East Sussex. I am unable to find birth or baptism records to confirm a birth date and the link to his Father Thomas Costick. If anyone reading this can help me with this missing fact that would be wonderful.

john costick

crimea1854
Hi John

Having looked at the CG records I'm inclined to think that Charles was born in 1806-7. Unfortunately in the records that do provide a birth date he was on the Civilian List, which does not include this information. However, on 1 October1858 he gave his age as 51.

Since his first child was born in 1838 I checked the marriage index for 1837, just on the off-chance, and in the July-Sept Quarter for 1837 I found a marriage between Charles Copstick and Elizabeth Green which took place in the Brighton District (Vol.7 page 264). On the assumption that the date, place and first name of his wife are correct I would guess that there is a good chance this is your man.

If you were to order his marriage certificate this should include details of his father, so you may be able to answer at least one of your questions.

Regards

Martin

kilmeny
Hello John,

I've had a good search on all my usual sites, to no avail. However , on looking on ' Genesreunited ' I found 5 or 6 people who are also researching a Chas. Costick born approx.1807 in Sussex. If you are not a member of this site it might be worth your while joining, so that you can contact those people
( within the site). It's not too expensive.
I did find some Costicks born in the late 1700s to a Thomas+ Elizabeth Costick, but no Charles.

Hope this might help.
Kilmeny

Barnford
There are also a fair few public member trees on Ancestry featuring this family, if you are enrolled there. It looks as if the parents are Thomas and Mary nee Green (also his wife's surname). There are various spellings for his father, including Cosstick and Coulstick. Some of them give Charles' place of birth as Herne Bay, which is Kent.

A word of warning, though, some of these trees will be copied without compilers applying rigorous checks of their own and one mistake can be transmitted around very quickly.

You may be lucky and find a tree of some integrity.

Clive

kilmeny
Hello John,

I contacted all the people looking for Chas. Costick ( c 1807) on GR ,( as suggested above), and have had replies from most. None of them were able to show that they had found an actual birth or bap. record, so all stuck, like you. They all seemed to be connected to Harriot, the dau. of Charles. Is that useful to you ?

Kilmeny

john costick
Thankyou all so much for your time and help . I will take onboard your suggestions and start reseaching in the areas you have pointed out. I think that Charles who was the youngest of Thomas Cosstick's children had a a shady past that he didnt want to reveal, because all his siblings have baptism records and all were born in Seaford East Sussex. As you stated the name did change around a lot costick /cosstick/coulstick/cowstick it goes on.

Martin what does the civilian list mean. and is there coastguard records i can either view or purchase of Charles Costick.

kind regards to you all

john costick

sallyg
Hi John

My Grandfather was the youngest son of Harriet who was the daughter of Charles. I haven't found a birth for him though, so not much help to you.

Regards

Sally

crimea1854
John

Post the early 1860's the CG Records changed, where each station record consists of a 'Fleet List' and 'Civilian List'. Generally as men got older they transferred from the Fleet to the Civilian Lists. The significance of this is that the 'Fleet List' indicated those men who were still eligible for active service in the Navy.

Some of the earlier CG records provide similar information by the use of the notation 'SB' (Seaman Boatman) or 'CB' (Civilian Boatman) against their names.

All the CG records can be viewed online for free by downloading them from the NA website.

Regards

Martin

Barnford
John

Several of the Ancestry trees give his date of death as 7th January 1876 in Herne, Kent if that is of any help to you.

Clive

kilmeny
John ,

A 'Juliet ' has replied via GR, and says that Chas. Costick is her 3xGt. G'father, and that she has lots of info on him to share. She would like to make contact with you, so I suggested she join this site.

Kilmeny

john costick
Thanks Kilmeny
Charles Costick is also my 3x great grandfather his son James was my great grandfather, he also was a coastguard mainly in Ireland . I have joined GR so i will try and contact juliet.

many thanks.

john

JulietBacon
Hi John
I'm the Juliet that Kilmeny was talking about. I can't say I have lots of info on him, i'm a bit like you, desperate to research the Costicks a bit more!
What I do know is that Charles is my 3 x gt grandfather, his daughter Elizabeth (James's sister) married William Bacon who was coastguard along the Kent coast in the watch vessels and then at Southwold in Suffolk in 1881.

I found out that Charles was definitely born in 1807 but I don't have an exact date. He is definitely the son of Thomas Costick, also a 'mariner' and Mary Green. He was stationed as a coastguard in Brighton in 1837 which is where he married Elizabeth Green on 18 July 1837 at St Nicholas Church, Brighton. They had many children as you probably know and seemed to have remained around the Kent area. I also have his death certificate which shows the date of death 7 January 1876 and he died of cirrhosis with gallstones!

Sadly I don't know much more and would LOVE to find out any information you may have on the Costicks at all. I have a tree on Ancestry and Genes although the Ancestry one is better.
I would love any photos you may have of any Costicks as I have none. However I do know that a cousin of mine whom I've only just discovered since starting the geneology trail actually has James Costick's bible. I can only think that he gave it to his sister Elizabeth who passed it down the generations. But I have not seen it as yet myself as I've not met up with him.

I'd love for you to get in touch and maybe tell me any stories or any info on the Costicks seeing as we are 4th cousins!!

Thanks

Juliet

john costick
Hi Juliet
Thanks so much for contacting me. I have a couple of picture' of James Costick & his wife Ellen which i will gladly send you along with a few other details and info i have on the family. I have been trying to get Birth records for Charles Costick but have failed so far. I have been to the records office at Lewes Sussex which show records for all of Charle's siblings but not his as the records change around 1808 when i think he was born. Also there must be a photograph of him somewhere in the family as must coastguards /mariners had their pictures taken. Hopefully someone will read this and contact me. I will send you my email address through the private message board on this site. if you can then send me yours i will contact you to send the info.

thanks

john

ElleAndrews
Hiya,

I know this forum hasnít been active for a while. I am Robinís granddaughter! Heís married to Shirley and had two children: Lisa and Dale (Lisaís my mum) Smile

Robin is an absolute gem, and I love him a lot. He has his own woodwork business in Shepperton! Shirley is also lovely and helps run the business with Rob.

Jump to Forum: