View Thread

Print Thread
Fethard ( Co Wexford ) CG Station
James1977
Hi All,

I was having a look at this station and although I can find its staff on the 1901 census I cant find anyone on the 1911 census . I found a cluster of houses with CG men living in them but they are 14km away from Fethard ,

I doubt the station was closed in 1911 and was wondering if anyone had ever heard of CG men living a distance away from their station and maybe manning the station in a shift basis ?

Any ideas ?

J

crimea1854
James
According to the download on this site it would appear that most, if not all of the CG cottages were sold in 1911, which would perhaps explain why no CG census data exists for this year.

file:///C:/Users/...book_a.pdf

Martin

James1977
Thanks Martin,

That link isn't working for me however ,

J

crimea1854
Like you the link did not work for me, so I'm afraid you will have to log in then go to the 'downloads' tab at the top of the page, then scroll down to the 'Wexford' download where the link should have taken you.

Martin

James1977
Martin , Thanks for that.

I may have found the reason for the closure of Fethard CG station in 1911.

The article below gives a detailed history of the harbour at Fethard which was specifically built to accommodate a Revenue Cruiser. The article mentions the closure of the station there in 1911 due to a outbreak of scarlet fever.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/Surveys/Buildings/BuildingoftheMonth/Archive/Name,3239,en.html

J

Jump to Forum: