View Thread

Print Thread
William Davie
davie
My G G grandfather William Davie served in the Coastguard in Cornwall
and in 1864 was awarded the RHS Society bronze medal and the
Ministre de la Marine et du Colonies gold medal.
Would there be a citation for the French medal ?

Brian Davie

willoughr
Hi Brian,

The LSARS web site (www.lsars.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk) notes his award of the RHS bronze medal with the details as below. You should be able to get his citation from the RHS using the case number for ease of reference, though I understand the society archives are shortly to be transferred to the London Metropolitan Archives. The French award is I assume for the same incident, assuming this involved a French ship or French nationals as crew or passengers. It is apparently possible to get citations or confirmation from the French government archives in Paris, though you would need to either visit or employ a professional researcher.

Do you have the medals in the family? It would be interesting to post a picture to this site.

Regards
Roger

Davie, W. Chief Boatman Coastguard date of rescue: 2.12.63 location: Off Portreath St Agnes RHS case number: 17240
Edited by willoughr on 30/09/2008 22:04
Roger Willoughby

davie
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the information.

I am not sure where his medals are, I think a relative in
Devon had them.

Regards

Brian

crimea1854
Hi Brian

It is possible that one of the medals in the photograph in the Gallery Section is in fact a Baltic Medal.

A William Davie served on HMS Duke of Wellington during the Crimea War, with his medal being delivered to St Agnes CGS on 6 April 1857 - this seems to tie in with the date your man was there.

Regards

Martin

davie
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the information, sounds like my G G grandfather,
Never thought he had served in the Baltic but only have his CG records
in the 1870's.

Will have to do some more research

Thanks again

Brian

Jump to Forum: