View Thread

Print Thread
Henry Connelly ca 1800 Donegal Cstguard
maireag
Hello, I'm looking for any info on a Henry Connelly, worked for the Coastguard from Horn Head/Dunfanaghy in Donegal late 1700's early 1800's. I just learned he was in the Coastguard, any suggestions where to start? Thank You, Lisa

Tony
Lisa,
Custom and Excise employed people in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Their work was followed later by the Preventive Waterguard.
In the early 1820's the Coastguard were formed in Ireland by the Admiralty with mostly Royal Navy personnel. However members of the Waterguard were included in the new service.
Admiralty service records, held at The National Archives, Kew, can be searched on line.
Tony

crimea1854
Hi Lisa

This may be an awfully long shot, but the constructed medal roll for the Naval General Service Medal has a Henry Connelly, Landsman, being awarded a medal for service aboard HMS Culloden at the the battle of the 'Glorious First of June' (1 June 1794).

The medal was instituted in 1847, and only those men still alive at this date were eligable to apply. Clearly if you know that HC had died by this time, then this man can be completely discounted. However, if still alive it might be worth just checking the Culloden's Muster Book in the ADM 36 series of records at the National Archives. This should provide details of HC's age and place of birth, also providing details of any past service, together with details of his next ship. From this it is possible to continue to trace his service, although it has to be said that as a 'Landsman' it is unlikely that there would be any prior service.

If by some miracle it did turn out to be the same man, to know that he took part in a major sea battle would, in my view, be fantastic.

Regards

Martin

maireag
Thank you for your reply. It's definitely worth checking into. I know my Henry Connelly was born 1772 died 1875. So he would have been of age during this battle and still alive 1847. It would be terrific I could learn more about his service record and especially where he was born.

I know he lived and died in Horn Head near Dunfanaghy in Donegal, Ireland, but I don't know if this is where he was born.

On his death certificate it states "coastguard". His gg granddaughter from Horn Head told me she thought he was the "chief boatman for the landlord".

I know Henry's father name was William and he was a fisherman. That's about all I have.

I live in the USA and not able to get to the archives. I have looked at the website a little...do you know are their records I can find on line or would I need to hire someone to look up records for me?

Thanks for your reply!
Lisa

crimea1854
Hi Lisa

HC certainly had a good innings if he lived to be 103!

On the question of online documents at the National Archives, I'm afraid the ADM 36 series is not available on line. However, I must emphasis that this particular line of enquiry is a real long shot.

I would start with a search of the areas suggested by Tony, and only then broaden out your research.

If you do wish to engage a professional researcher if you PM me I would be happy to recommend someone who has a very high reputation amongst the medal collecting fraternity.

Regards

Martin

crimea1854
Lisa

I looked up the Henry Connelly in HMS Culloden's muster roll, I don't know if the following is of any help:

Henry Connelly, Ships No. 693, born Armagh, Ireland, entered as Landsman 1 July 1794 (age 22), 10 October 1796 AC (I confess I do not understand what this means, I'm assuming he was advanced in Rate on this date) discharged 14th August 1800, Princess Royal.

Regards

Martin

broem
I think that this term was used for men who had been press ganged. They were entered on the pay list as pressed men or landsmen and were paid lower wages than volunteers.

Good sailing

Mike

ECrims
I managed to trawl through the ADM-175 National archive listings and find service records for Henry Connelly. My god they could teach us a thing or two about the art of administration! Anyway looks like Sheephaven Bay, Dunfanaghy was Henrys final station started there on 31st Aug 1829, having moved from Dunree Fort where he'd been from 5th April 1826. Before this he'd served at the Mouth of the Boyne, start date there though looks like an "F.B" this is the same for a few of the boatmean there. Could this mean its their first station?

crimea1854
F.B stands for Former Book. I suggest you look at the same station in the preceding ADM 175 record.

Jump to Forum: