Clifden Restoration


Clifden Restoration.


Clifden Station Circa 1900's
Clifden Station Circa 1900's

Clifden Station Circa 1990's
1990's

The station built in 1876 was occupied by British Coastguards until 1921. After the outbreak of Civil War in 1922 the vacant building was taken over for the billeting of troops by the new Irish Free State. It was burned on the night of the 29th.October 1922 when Clifden was attacked by forces of the Republican side of the Civil war.


Most of the building was destroyed by fire and the remainder became derelict over the following years. After its rebuilding as closely as possible to the original, the new building was opened in 1997.

Clifden Inside Detail

View from Station
View from Station

Clifden Modern




0 Comments · 4234 Reads · Print  -> Posted by Tony on May 05 2007

Comments

No Comments have been Posted.
 

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.