View Thread

Print Thread
Raines
derekraines
Looking for any information on Thomas Raines RN b.1834 Hull sometime coastguard at Killybegs and Mallinmore. Later retired to Grimsby as a Custom House Officer . Also two sons. Thomas 1862 b. Stornoway,Ross and Cromarty. R.N and then possibly Coastguard at a Co.Cork station and then Kerry. Allan Angus b.1870 Killybegs coastguard station, Dunkineely and later in Alverstoke and Lymington,Hants

Have seamans records for Thomas jnr and Allan Angus but looking for info on their coastguards careers if possible. Any pointers or help much appreciated. Thankyou.

crimea1854
Derek

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming that you have obtained information about Thomas jnr and Allan Angus from the NA online seamans service records in ADM 188.

However, with regard Thomas snr do you have any other information that might provide further leads? Being born in 1834, he would be aged 20 at the start of the Crimea war, when a significant number of CG men were effectively called up for service in the Navy.

If you had the name of a ship he served on, this could provide a start for further research.

Regards

Martin

derekraines
Thankyou for your reply, Martin. For Thomas Raines b.1834 Hull and orphaned in 1841 I have only info found through the census and birth dates of his children. He married in1859 in Renfrewshire to Annabella Grant from Stornoway. He was described as seaman RN in the 1861 Scottish census. He was stationed at Killybegs by1865 until abt1871. Then Malinmore until abt 1878 then back to Killybegs for birth of last child in 1880. He is then at Grimsby by the 1891 census.

I do indeed have the seamen's records for his two sons. I have no other information on Thomas snr and I am not sure how to proceed further.

Any help, information or pointers gratefully received.
Derek

crimea1854
Derek

Following on from my previous post I have now completed a search of the Baltic & Crimea medal rolls, and regrettably could find no trace of Thomas snr.

The next possible step invloves a search of the ADM 139 series of service records at the NA, which are not yet on line. Unfortunately although a man could enlist for 7 - 10 years from 1853, and a record of his service maintained, this was still optional. So while Thomas snr might be in the navy at this time, it does not follow that his service record is held at the NA.

I hope to be going to the NA in a little over a week to do some research of my own, so if you can be a little patient, I will see if I can find a service record for him in ADM 139.

Regards

Martin

derekraines
Martin,

Thankyou for your kind offer to search for Thomas. Very much appreciated.

Will be away from my computer for the next 3 weeks and will see if you have been successful on return. Once again many thanks , Derek

Tony
Derek,
According to the 1901 Census returns Thomas Raines was stationed at Fenit, Co.Kerry/ Ref. 1901 Census Kerry 169/41.
Thomas Raines. Commissioned Boatman. Church of Ireland. 38. Married. Born Scotland.
Sarah Raines. Wife. C.of I. 34. Married. b. England.
Thomas W.Raines. Son. C.of I. 10. Scholar. b. Co.Cork.
Alec A.Raines. Son. C.of I. 6. Scholar. b.Co.Cork.
Alfred A.Raines. Son. C.of I. 1 year. b. Co.Kerry.
National Archives. Bishop Street. Dublin 6.

Birth.
Angus Allen Raines of Thomas Raines and Annabella Grant.Born 7 April 1870. Coastguard. Ballyhoo. Co.Donegal.
Oliver Raines of Thomas Raines and Annabella Grant.Born 28 February 1877. Coastguard. Malinmore. Co.Donegal.
I hope this information may help you with your research.
Tony

Tony
Derek
Found another Raines baptism
Church of Ireland Baptismal Record.
Annabella Raines of Thomas (Hull,England) andv Annabella Grant. Baptised 24 May 1868. Born 9 September 1867. Coastguard at Killybegs station. Killybegs Parish. Co.Donegal.
Tony

crimea1854
Hi Derek

I did visit the NA and I thought I had cracked it! I could only find one Thomas Raines in ADM 139, and he had the CS No. 2494A.

From the list of ships he served on he first entered the CG service on 10th Oct 1867, in Frederick William, then Trafalgar and ending in Valiant on 31st April 1876; from this point his service would be recorded in ADM 188.

The ADM 139 record also has him going to pension on 23rd Oct 1885.

Now for the bad news. Just to make sure I had the right man I ordered the Description Book for HMS Hogue, on which this Thomas served between April 1859 and September 1863. Unfortunately this gave his place of birth as Boston, Lincs, and his date of birth as 8th April 1835. So if you are positive that he was born in Hull, then the only conclusion I can draw is that I have the wrong man!

If after further research they do turn out to be one and the same man, then I would be pleased to send you the full details of his service record. On the face of it a dead end, sorry,

Regards

Martin

Graham Raines
Hi. I am a new member and my Great Grandfather was Thomas Raines. He was stationed at Hayling Island Coastguard Station and was a member of the Lifeboat Crew. His son Alec was board on the Island and was in the Navy. My father was also born on the Island then all the family moved to Chatham. My father came back to hayling in 1965 we us all to look after a family member and I joined the lifeboat crew when I was 17 and had to retire at the age of 45. I nam now a launching authority. I have some pictures of Thomas on the lifeboat 'Proctor' and is son in Naval uniform standing next to the boat. If you would life copies I have then on a disk. Graham Raines MBE

crimea1854
Hi Graham.

Since this thread was originally starting four years ago much more information is now available online. I don't know how far your research has progressed, but if you are after some steers let us know what you have, and what you are after, and perhaps we can help.

Martin

Jump to Forum: