View Thread

Print Thread
Richard Keegan born in Sligo 1803/04
Sabina
Hi, I am trying to find information on my above ancestor who retired from the Service in 1866 on a pension and died in 1883. In 1837 he transferred from Seasalter Kent to Rosslare. In 1840 he moved to Greystones and from there to Co Mayo where he remained until he retired. According to family lore, he may have been in the Merchant Navy prior to joining the Coastguards.

Richard married in Sligo around 1833 and had a son James born in the UK but I cannot find any information on James' birth in Kent. Therefore it would seem Seaslater was not his only posting in the UK. I have not had any success in finding when Richard joined the Service or whether he had been in the Merchant Navy. Any advice on tracing him prior to 1837 would be much appreciated.

Sabina

crimea1854
Sabina

You are quite correct in your assumption that Richard had earlier postings in England. According to the Establishment Books he was appointed to Beresford CGS on 19 April 1831 having previously worked as an Extra Man in Sligo (ADM 175/6 pdf 62). On 27 June 1833 he was promoted to a Commissioned Boatman and transferred to Herne Bay, however, he did not remain there long, because on 1 July 1833 he was moved to Seasalter (ADM 175/6 pfd 65) - the rest you know.

Incidentally all the above records have him as Kegan.

Martin

PS Find my Past has a Seamans Ticket for a Richard Kegan born 1803 that might be your man.
Edited by crimea1854 on 08/03/2019 07:59

Sabina
Martin
Thank you so much for the information on my GGF. I have been trying to find out where he had served before Seasalter for almost two years and you have solved it for me in no time !! Many thanks.

From the NA UK online records I noticed there was a Ref. No. (such as for Rosslare R394/37) which I imagine relates to the Station and the year of joining but in Richard's case there is also a Reg. No. R6790 - am I right in thinking that this number relates to the Station he first joined? Perhaps it relates to one of the Stations in Sligo where he was an 'extra man', presumably waiting for a permanent posting.

Thanks for the tip regarding the 'Seaman's Ticket' - I shall certainly be following that up.
Sabina

crimea1854
Sabina glad to be of help.

The 'R' Nos are correspondence refs used by the Admiralty, most, if not all have been 'weeded', but if they do exist this series of National Archive files are notoriously difficult to research.

Martin

Jump to Forum: