View Thread

Print Thread
Looking for information
Angel
Hi

My name is Leanne and I've been researching my family tree and have discovered my 2nd Great Grandfather Richard Roach was listed as a Coast guard in 1903 in Moville, Ireland.
I've not had a lot of details of my family history as my father doesn't know a lot of information.

I've heard a little about the Coastguard in Ireland from other people's stories not realizing until now my grandfather served and would love to find out information good or bad.

Thankyou for your time

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Leanne

Your best bet is to purchase your Gt Grandfathers service record from the National Archives http://discovery....r/D6659580, if you have a subscription to Ancestry this is available on their site.

I note from his record he was awarded the RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal and the WW1 medal roll has the award of the 14-15 Star, BWM and Victory medal.

The 1901 Irish census has him, his wife (Fanny) and son (Richard) at Castlecary, Donegal, I also note that his son followed him into the Navy.

Hope this of some help.

Martin

Angel
Hi

Thankyou so much for the information, I can't Thankyou enough.

I've informed my father as he was raised my his Grandfather Richard and met his greatgrandad when he was younger. We have 1 photo of him and it is framed.
We live in Australia as my greatgrandad took advantage of the immigration scheme in 1955. Hopefully in a year or 2 my parents will be there for a visit. 😁
It seems that on both sides of my family are awarded medals. 😁 I'm very proud.

Thankyou so much for your help. You are doing a wonderful job.

Leanne

Jump to Forum: