View Thread

Print Thread
John Mahoney
DanielORaw
I'm looking for my ancestor, who is John Mahoney. He was born in Queenstown (Cobh) presumably around 1858.

On his naval record it states he was born in Aghada, Cork on the 20 July 1858, which is a stones throw away from cobh.

On his marriage cert (To: Elizabeth Callaghan) in 1885 his father is Daniel Mahoney, put down as a "Gardener" it looks like.

John Mahoney was a Coast Guard in multiple places including: St.Ives, Weymouth, Northumberland, Cornwall; Clogherhead; Ballinacarrig; North Ireland; Picklecombe Fort(training as Gunner in 1891 census); Queenstown(Sailor);

listed as a sailor in the Royal Navy on multiple documents.

His naval record spans from 1875 to 1888.
His Coastguard record spans 1888 to 1907

He was first made a boatman in the CG in 1888 and then promoted to commissioned boatman in 1898.
He earned a medal in 1893, I assume the Long service medal for 15 year service.

I also have multiple records for the Merchant Navy and The Royal Artillery which I believe is the same John Mahoney.

My problem is I cannot find his birth cert or any record of who his mother is or any siblings.

John married Elizabeth Callaghan in Cork, in 1885. They had two children in Cork (christina 1886, Daniel 1887) they then moved to Penzance, Cornwall where John was a coast guard there and also in the Royal Artillery, they had (John 1889, William 1889, Jeremiah 1893, Frederick 1895 (my Great Grandfather) ) they then moved back to Ireland (Rathdrum, Wicklow) in 1896 where they had Charles Michael in 1896.

They lived in Clogher, Louth and Clontarf, Dublin (1901 & 1911 census)

He died in 1944 aged 86. Buried in St.John Baptist, clontarf with his wife Elizabeth who died in 1930.
All this information can be found on either irish genealogy website, National Archives UK or irish census 1901/1901, uk census 1891.

His national archives record is ADM 188/96/89805

Any info will be helpful, Thank you.
Daniel O'Raw

Liam1960
Daniel,

Just happened in to this site today after a long lay off and Aghada caught my eye as it is where I am living and where my great grandfather ex RN and RN Coastguard was born. On RootsIreland (the Irish family History Foundation, based in Mallow) they have a really good search engine for Baptisms and Marriages. In Cobh records for July 5th 1857 there is a baptism of John Mahony with parents Daniel Mahony and Catherine Kenealy and sponsors Maurice Savage and Johanna Mahony.

There are 60+ records for John Mahony using 1858 +/- 5 years. There are five in Aghada but none with Daniel as the father's name and at least four in Cobh including the above. Do not tie yourself to dates of birth on navy enlistment documents etc...in those days people didn't really have a calendar hanging up on the fridge door! Children were born in trying circumstances, baptised next day if possible and then life just continued its daily struggle. In my own research I had got bogged down knowing from the enlistment forms my great grandfather's 'official' date of birth of Aug 15 1835....turned out it was september 18th 1833.

To check the accuracy of a birth/baptism record from those days it sometimes followed that grandchildren were named after the husband's parents first and then the wife got her turn later on...at least that was how it worked in my great grandfather's family.

Just did a quick search in marriage records for Cobh and Daniel Mahony and Catherine Kenelly married there on 5 June 1854 with Michael Driscoll and Ellen Wilson witnessing. Using the parents first names and the surname Mahony in the search no records for children other than John were located. Only child...? or family moved...which is likely given his occupation as gardener but it would have been outside of Cork as it was Cork I entered in the search.

Hope this helps...I am familiar with putting out appeals for help having hit a wall! Roots Ireland is a subscription site but you can choose a day, week, month or year whenever you want. I take out a month at a time when I'm researching.

Regards,

Liam O' Connor

Jump to Forum: