View Thread

Print Thread
James Simpson, R4295
trisham43
I am trying to trace James Simpson who was a coast guard at Roberts Cove, Cork, from 1838 to 1853 where he had several children.. Using the National Archives on line Establishment Archives, I have found him previously at Pegwell Bay. He was removed from another station which I am unable to read: it looks like Rame Head but I don't think this can be so as there is no Rame Head in the Index.. I am trying to track him back to find where he was born and married.
I wonder if anyone can help me on this? Manythanks for any help.

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum.

I've traced your man from his initial nomination to the CG Service in Dec 1826 with a first posting to Portwinkle (ADM 175/5 pdf 116) to his discharge in 1853. This gives Wexford as where he was nominated from; in most instances where a place is quoted, as opposed to the name of a ship, the man was generally local to that area.

I'm not sure how far forward this takes you, but if you have access to Find my Past, look in the merchant seaman's records, you could get lucky and find your man was issued with one, which may provide answers or further clues.

I could find no ref. in the records to Rame Head, where did you see this?

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 06/02/2018 13:56

trisham43
Very many thanks Martin for the info re James Simpson.

From the Portwrinkle establishment I see he was removed to Bovisand Bay then on to Dublin. I am trying to find where in Dublin he was posted as I think this is where he met his wife and his first son William was born. (The rest of his children were born during his years at Roberts Cove.)

As to Rame Head I found him on the Pegwell Bay Establishment, ADM 17566 England 1833-1844, page 103. (I tried to add a scan of this page to my query this morning but obviously it didn't work). If you care to look at this book, James is about half way down but the station he was removed from is quite hard to read - hence I guessed at Rame Head. Maybe you could do better? I would be very interested to know..

I've looked on FMP at Merchant Seamen records in the past but will search again.

Again, thanks very much for your interest and help
Trisha

crimea1854
Trisha

I now understand! It's not Rame Head, but rather 'Same St(ation)'. This indicates that following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman he remained at the same CG Station rather than being moved. If you look at the Boatman's list on the next page you will see that when he was advanced.

Martin

trisham43
Sorry to bother you again Martin.
Have found my chap on the next page (104) as you suggested, but having trouble with the name of the station again, Bald..... something?
Many thanks, Trisha

crimea1854
No probs: Baldoyle

Martin

Jump to Forum: