View Thread

Print Thread
Costello Bay, Galway, Ireland 1866
annisc
Can anyone suggest where I might look to trace the Coastguard Station my ancestor Robert ANNIS was posted to. I have traced his appointment to Costello Bay Station, Galway as Chief Boatman in charge from 5 Sep 1866. The establishment book entry quotes 'Transferred to Lough Swilly District', which I assume was as a result of some form of re-organisation as most of the personnel in the TNA Series ADM 175/21 (Limerick district only) were shown as transferred to either Lough Swilly or Limerick New District.TNA records post 1866 appear limited or non-existant? Many thanks. Chris Annis (New Member)

crimea1854
Chris, welcome to the Forum.

You need to move from the Establishment Books in ADM 175 to the Ships Record Books in the same series. Lough Swilly District is covered by HMS Trafalgar for the period 1866-69: http://discovery....h/C2976619

I don't know if you are aware of it but Robert was one of the CG's who served in the Navy during the Crimean War on HMS Duke of Wellington, also Find my Past has a Merchant Seamen's Ticket for him No. 149615.

Martin

annisc
Martin

Many thanks for the information, and congrats on the site and contents - very comprehensive and extremely useful.
I found Robert in ADM 175/61 Trafalgar and he is shown as transferred from 'JK or FK William' which I guess could be the 'Frederick William' ADM 175/70.So I'll have a look there too.
I wasn't aware of his Royal Navy service on the Duke of Wellington in the Crimean - I was aware that he had gone to sea from his Seaman's Ticket, but at that stage (1845) he hadn't served in the RN.
I do have a couple of other questions please:
1. Robert's first posting, following his nomination was to Portreath, Cornwall in Nov 1849. He then transferred to St Agnes, Cornwall 14 years later in Sep 1863 - was such a long posting typical?
2. Robert's older brother William also served in the Coastguard Service but was recorded as Absconding from Weybourne, Norfolk in October 1854 as Chief Boatman - I initially thought the abscondment might be connected to his marriage which took place in 1856, but with the information you supplied regarding the Crimean War I'm more inclined to think this was the reason - would any records exist about him absconding?
Many thanks
Chris

crimea1854
Chris

Regarding your first question 14 years on one station is rather unusual. Men were normally moved every few years to prevent them becoming too familiar with the locals with the possibility that they might turn a blind-eye to smuggling.

On your second, it is unlikely that as Chief Boatman he would have been asked to serve in the navy during the Crimean War. I have logged most if not all of the men who served during this conflict and the highest rate I have recorded is Commissioned Boatman. Regarding his reason for absconding I'm afraid this is likely to remain a mystery, but again for a Chief Boatman to abscond is most unusual.

Martin

annisc
Martin

Thanks for the info. I hadn't fully appreciated the reason for the many 'short postings' I have come across, but what you say makes very good sense, with Smuggling in mind.

I'm struggling with tracing Appledore Station post 1866 - could you point me in the right direction please?

Going back to your reference to Robert ANNIS serving on board Duke of Wellington in the Crimean War, do you have a TNA or other reference I could use to substantiate this in my biography for him please.

Many thanks....again

Chris

crimea1854
Chris

Like you I have struggled to find a record for Appledore. The last record I can find for Robert Annis is ADM 175/32 pdf81, but this only goes back to 1865, but on the plus side it does record his last ship as the Duke of Wellington, giving the date he was paid off. Under normal circumstances I would have assumed that the next record in the series (175/33) would provide details of subsequent service, but in this case there is a gap and Robert looks to have fallen into it!

For further evidence of his service during the Crimean war you can refer to ADM 171/19, which is the medal roll for the Baltic Medal, again this can be downloaded for free from the National Archives. This shows his medal being sent to St Agnes on 6 April 1857. Unfortunately this particular medal was issued unnamed to the Royal Navy, so unless he had his privately engraved you will never be able to trace it should it have survived.

Martin

annisc
Martin

Many thanks for the pointers to ADM 171/19 and ADM 175/32 - two more pieces of the jig-saw!

I admit to still being a little confused about the structure of the CG Service in the 1860's. It appears that up to 1866 it was one of Station/Port/District (land based) eg St Agnes/Truro/St Agnes and then changed to Station/District/Ship eg St Agnes/Truro/St George. A number, if not all the pre 1866 Establishment Books show personnel being transferred to new books - were these new books the Ship based Supp Books? I suspect though it was considerably more complicated than that?.

Could you also point me in the direction of where Robert's Discharge & Pension records might be - he is recorded in the 1871 Census of Falmouth as Chief Boatman in charge - Superannuated, so I'm guessing he left the Service between 1869-1871.

Thanks again

Chris

Jump to Forum: