View Thread

Print Thread
Waterson, where was he stationed?
Muriel Armstrong
Having just received a marriage certificate., I find the Bride's father was a Coastguard
William Waterson. I now have his death certificate stating he died TERMONCARRAGH near CORCLOGH. Was he stationed near here?.
The wedding took place at the Parish Church of Kilmore Erris, County Mayo in 1855.
His death took place 1868.Born1799 ? Where.
I notice a son-- another William dies the following year 1869 aged 30, could he have been a Coastguard.?
The Groom's occupation is down as "EXTRA COASTGUARD" Would there have been records of him too--- a JOHN CAIN born 1834?
I am new to this site, hope this is the right format.
Any hepl would be gratefully received,
Muriel Armstrong.
Muriel Armstrong

crimea1854
Muriel welcome to the forum.

I've looked at the CG records and think I've pieced together William Snrs service. He was nominated in July 1831 with a first posting to Portsmouth Harbour CGS (ADM 175/77 pdfs 162/163); this shows that he was from Donaghadee. It's not always the case, but in most instances the place of nomination was local to where the man was born.

He was subsequently posted to Hill Head, but the National Archives have been saying they are having problems with the file (ADM175/6) which means it can't currently be downloaded. However, the Irish nomination book show that in 1838 he was posted from Hill Head to Belderig (ADM 175/18 pdf 256) then, in 1844 to Tulloughan (ADM 175/18 pdf 239).

At this point it gets a little complicated because there were two William Waterson's at the same station at the same time - perhaps father and son? Then both appear to be at Port Na Franc at the same time (ADM 175/19 pdf 261). One looks to go back to Tulloughan and then disappears, the other to Belmullet. Helpfully the one to Belmullet has the initials CG against his name, this indicate the man was no longer fit for service with the Navy suggesting he was the older of the two and would appear on the Civilian List in the later Ships Books..

Looking at ADM 175/39 (pdf33), the Civilian List for Belmullet, this shows that William was superannuated on 31 March 1864, it also indicates that in 1858 he gave his age as 56.

To date I've not found the other William nor John Cain, but what I would say is that if John was an Extra(man) he will not be shown in the CG records, but I will keep looking.

Hope this is of interest and help.
Martin

Muriel Armstrong
Thank you so much for your interest I shall away and digest all of that.Will return late
Muriel.
Muriel Armstrong

crimea1854
This might be a bit of a long shot, but Familysearch has the baptism of a William Waterson to a William and Elizabeth in 1835, this took place at Tichfield, Hampshire. The reason this is of possible interest is that Titchfield is also known as Hill Head in CG records!

Martin

Muriel Armstrong
Thank you Martin for that update. That is interesting as I can't find a reference to a Portsmouth Harbour in Ireland. Could it possibly be the one in Hampshire where he was recruited? Given as you say his next posting is Hill Heads? That throws out him William senior being from Donaghadee. More work needed.
William Computer jammed, senior is married to an ELIZA but that is a common mistake.
Born Eighteen thirty five, the death I found Balymullet states aged thirty ,yours makes him thirty four Still possible.
Well, could we be English after all and not Irish!
Muriel Armstrong

crimea1854
Muriel

Firstly let me say I was wrong in my original post, I now believe all the references to William Waterson relate ONLY to William Snr. I've looked again at the transfers and must admit I'm still confused as to when William moved between station, but he looks to have worked at Tulloughan and Port Na Franc twice transferring backwards and forwards between each station, hence the confusion. I now know that his last station was Claggen where he transferred on the 25 June 1862 (ADM 175/20 pdf 22).

On the issue of Portsmouth Harbour and Hill Head both are in England. There was a pay differential between Ireland and England, so England was seen as a better posting because the pay was higher!

Martin

Muriel Armstrong
Thank you Martin for the reply.
Could I ask why you thought he came from Donaghadee when he registered at Portsmouth in Hampshire?. If he was Irish, Hampshire is an awfully long way to go -- surely somewhere like Liverpool would have been more logical.
The birth of his son William is very possibly right and his last posting to Claggan. , as the death certificate states Claggan.
I have sent for the relevant ADM,you mentioned but it may take up to 10 days for them to come.
Still searching for a marriage and birth for William, Hampshire and Ireland.
Thanks again,
Muriel.
Muriel Armstrong

crimea1854
Muriel

There is no need to order the ADM files as they are available as FREE downloads off the National Archives website.

Jump to Forum: