View Thread

Print Thread
Crimean War Service HMS Prince Regent
bodad
I took the attached photo of the Prince Regent's muster list during a visit to TNA last week. My William Jenkins is there, born Willcove, Cornwall. However, his last CGS is Somers Cove. I've trawled through pretty much all of the ADM175 series for Ireland and haven't come across this one. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, under whether pressd etc it says Victory O&V (or something). What did this mean?

Thanks,

Tim
bodad attached the following image:
hmsprinceregentshipsmuster.jpg

crimea1854
Hi Tim

I trust you enjoyed your trip to the NA.

Re your question about 'Somers Cove' can I suggest that this is what is now called Summercove, in Kinsale Harbour, near Upper Cove CG Station, and that these may be one and the same place.

On your question regarding the initials under 'Victory', I'm afraid I cannot help.

Regards

Martin

Edited by crimea1854 on 20/01/2011 08:02

bodad
Martin,

I think you're right. Tony had already told me of a baptism in 1852 when the father (William) was a coastguard at Summer Cove. I knew I'd heard of it but couldn't remember where from and anyway couldn't get a fix on Summer Cove. So thanks for the suggestion. It's a pain when the Coastguards refer to where they're living/working by one name but the records show them allocated to somewhere else, maybe nearby. My lack of knowledge of Irish geography means that it's difficult to tie a parish to a CGS. Anyway, I'll keep presevering.

Thanks again for your help.

Tim

Jump to Forum: