View Thread

Print Thread
Coast Guard Ballyshannon
Karen Bailey
Hi,

I have a great great grandfather John Henry Kemp who was a coast guard at the Rock Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal around 1869 to 1871.He may have been posted there before 1869. He then moved to Kenmare but I'm not sure if he was a coast guard there or not. I don't know where he was born.
Do you have any records for him at Ballyshannon station?
Anything you can give me would be great.
Kind regards,

Karen

crimea1854
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I will try and do a little more research tomorrow, but I can tell you that his given place of birth was both Greenwich and Deptford in Kent, similarly he gives his date of birth as both the 22 July 1839 and 22 August 1840.

These can be found on ADM 175/52 pdf 85 and his service record:
https://discovery...r/D7879842
Both can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archives website.

Martin

Merged on 17/02/2021 08:06:55:
I have now done a little more research, which indicates that he was first posted to Steedagh CGS on 11 Dec 1867. On 31 Oct 1869 he was transferred to Mullaghmore CGS, where on the 5 June 1873 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman and transferred to his next station on 30 June of the same year. The track goes a little cold but can be picked up by downloading his Continuous Service record 78479. https://discovery...r/D6611063.

You should note that although Mullaghmore is in County Sligo it is just down the coast from Ballyshannon.

I did a little poking around on Ancestry and found the bap. of a John Henry Kemp (adult) in Greenwich in Sept 1856 four days before your JHK joined the RN as a Boy, which I suspect is no coincidence. Assuming this is the right man, in the 1851 census his father John Kemp is shown as a Shoe Maker - wife Eliza, and in the 1861 census as an undertaker, which ties in nicely with the information given on JHK's bap. record.

Finally, there is a birth registered for a JHK, Greenwich, Jan - Mar 1839, Vol.5, page 225. If this is your man it puts both the dates given on his naval records in doubt. You might risk the cost of the certificate to establish his actual date of birth and his mother's maiden name, always assuming it is the same man!

Hope this helps.
Edited by crimea1854 on 17/02/2021 08:34

Karen Bailey
Hi Martin,

Thank you very much indeed for this information. You have given me loads of information to work with. My family knew that my great grandfather was born in Ballyshannon but had never been able to trace back any further. A document showing his baptism gave his father as being a coast guard which we hadn't known.

Its very interesting to find out about his naval service and the location of his birth. How would I go about getting a birth certificate? Is it through Ancestry or the National Archives at Kew?

I am starting to realize that the further back you go the less precise people are about dates which makes it quite a bit more challenging. This is the first time I have managed to get beyond Ballyshannon with the Kemp family so the leads you have given me are really invaluable.

Thank you very much indeed,

Kind regards,

Karen

crimea1854
The cheapest way of obtaining a Birth Certificate is direct from the GRO, this way you avoid admin. costs being added:
https://www.gov.u...ertificate

Martin

Karen Bailey
Hi Martin,

I sent away for the birth cert and received it today. The birth date given is 4th February 1839. His father is listed as a shoemaker and his mothers name is Eliza Newham.
Thank you for your help.
Karen

Jump to Forum: