View Thread

Print Thread
John Donovan 1867
Paul Monod
Can anyone provide information about John Donovan, a Coastguard who was one of the first recipients of the Albert Medal in 1867?

Many thanks!

Paul.

crimea1854
Hi Paul

Are you able to provide any other details about John Donovan, such as where he might have been stationed? Unfortunately I cannot find a list of Albert Medal recipients to find where he won the medal.

The person you really need to reply is Roger (willoughr). If the rescue took place in Irish waters he is likely to have all the information you could possibly need.

Martin

bpa
Google Books finds this

From "BULLETINS FROM THE LONDON GAZETTE of JANUARY 1, 1867."

Board of Trade, Whitehall, June 4, 1867.

THE Queen has been graciously pleased to confer the decoration of " The Albert Medal of the First Class " on :—
Samuel Lake, of the Bombay Reclamation Company's Works; W. H. Millett, Third Officer on board the Peninsular and Oriental Company's steamship " Emeu;" and The Rev. Charles Cobb, Rector of Dymchurch, in the county of Kent.

Her Majesty has also been graciously pleased to confer the decoration of " The Albert Medal of the Second Class " on:—
John Batist, Boatman at the Dymchurch Coast Guard Station; John Donovan, Chief Boatman in charge of the Old Head Coast Guard Station, Kinsale; and Charles Sprankling, Chief Boatman at the Burton Coast Guard Station.

The following are the services in repect of which the decorations have been conferred :—

3. The Italian barque " Thetis," in distress in Courtmacsherry Bay, Ireland.
The " Thetis," of 324 tons, with a crew of eleven persons, became embayed in Courtmacsherry Bay during a gale on November 30, 1866.

She had anchored in a dangerous position surrounded by reefs, and had cut away her masts when she was observed by the Coast Guard and Fishermen on shore.

John Donovan, Chief Boatman in charge of the Old Head Coast Guard Station, Kinsale, endeavoured to prevail upon the fishermen who lined the shore, to the number of about 200, to launch one of their boats, well adapted for the service, and already on the strand, for the purpose of rendering assistance, but they refused.

Donovan then caused the Coast Guard Galley to be dragged across the land a distance of about one and a-half miles, and lowered over a perpendicular cliff about 50 feet in height. When this was done, he and four Coast Guard men launched her and proceeded to the vessel. On getting alongside, the galley was capsized and partially stove, but by good management her crew, who had life jackets on, got on board the barque, where they remained for some hours expecting that she would part her cables, owing to the heavy sea running, and a gale blowing on shore. She however rode till the weather moderated, when the galley was repaired and the crews of the boat and vessel landed in her.

crimea1854
From the excellent lead provided by bpa I was able to put together the following information.

John Donovan was born in Castletown, Cork on 12 June 1820. he entered the CG service on 1 May 1849 from service in the RN aboard HMS Rodney, with a first posting to Cromarty in Scotland.

On 19 Sept 1849 he transferred to Harwich, then on 16 August 1851 to Poor Head in Ireland. His next move was to Ballycroneen on 14 July 1857.

During the Crimean War (1854-55) he returned to the RN as an AB aboard HMS Royal George, where he qualified for the Baltic Medal.

On 15 Jan 1863 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman and transferred to Ballygeary. He did not remain there long, because on 21 June 1863 he was removed to Roberts Cove, and following his promotion to Chief Boatman to Old Head on 14 Nov 1864. He was still serving at this CG Station in 1869.

The 1851 Census has a John Donovan CG and his wife Ellen (born Ireland) at Dunwich, just up the coast from Harwich, but I'm not sure if this is your man.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 08/06/2010 11:12

Tony
R.N.L.I. Award 1862.
DONOVAN, JOHN. Chief Boatman, Coastguard, Old Head Silver Medal
GOUGH, JAMES. Fisherman
On 22nd.January 1862 the Liverpool ship ‘Queen of Commerce’ was wrecked in heavy weather on a rock 50 yards from cliffs in Tramore Bay. Mr. Gough swam off to the rocks through heavy surf closely followed by Mr. Donovan. They were able to take hold of a life-belt floated on a line from the wreck and, with seas savagely breaking over them, they took the line ashore followed by a hawser. By this means the 23 man crew and Pilot were saved.
Reference: “Lifeboat Gallantry” by Barry Cox
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Narrow Escape from Drowning. 1884.
On Sunday afternoon, a man named Patrick Deery, of Drogheda, Co.Louth, who is what is known locally as a “whacker,” the man who closes the bargain in the corn trade, had a very narrow escape from drowning. He had been spending the day by the strand at Bettystown and Laytown. The river Nanny, which flows in a swift current when the tide is retiring, divides Laytown and Mosney strand. In making for Laytown railway station, Deery blundered past the road for Laytown and headed for the river (the bank shelves suddenly into deep water), when he struck the water-course, and he was immediately taken off his feet. With the sudden immersion he had forethought sufficient to cry out lustily for help as he was swept along by the current. Fortunately Mr. John Donovan ex-officer of coastguard, who lives at a short distance from the river, heard his cry, ran out and launched a light boat, and followed the man he saw drifting along the watercourse. He succeeded in getting in front of the drowning man. It required no small skill to get the man into the boat without upsetting it. He succeeded however, in doing so, and landed him safely. By the application of restoratives Deery was brought to, and able to take the train for Drogheda. Mr. Patrick Boyle of Laytown, with one of the coastguards launched a boat and came upon the scene of the immersion soon after Mr. Donovan. In 1862 Mr. Donovan received the silver medal of the Royal Humane Society for signal services in life-saving at a wreck on the coast between Tramore and Dunmore, Co.Waterford.
Reference; The Irish Times. 6 September 1884.

It seems that he was a very brave man.

Tony

crimea1854
Just to add a little more to what is an expanding answer, a John Donovan was awarded the Naval General Service Medal with Syria clasp for service as an Ordinary Seaman HMS Powerful. I believe this might be your man, because a group of medals, which also included an Albert Medal to this man, was sold at auction in March 1909.

If you could consult HMS Rodney's ships description book at the National Archives, this should have his previous ships listed, if Powerful is one of them then this would confirm this as your man.

Martin

Paul Monod
Thanks very much again to Martin and Tony for this information. You two are amazingly fast and efficient in carrying out research! And believe me, that's a real compliment, as I am a history lecturer and writer by trade.

To explain the query: my great-grandfather had twin elder brothers, John and Thomas Forrest Donovan, born at the Coastguard station at Poole, Dorset. Thomas became a rigger in the Royal Navy (I have found his service record through the National Archives), but John simply disappeared. My uncle did some research of his own and found that a John Donovan, coastguardman, had been awarded the Albert Medal in 1867 for a rescue at Kinsale. He wondered whether this might be his grandfather's brother.

As John Donovan of the Albert medal was born in Cork, he can't be the right man, but I was fascinated to read his story nonetheless, and am very grateful to both of you for finding it.

Best wishes,
Paul.

Paul Monod
P.S. I should also have thanked bpa for finding the initial reference.

Paul.

willoughr
Hi Paul,

There are several John Donovans in the Coastguard in Ireland. The Albert Medal winner received the Sea Gallantry Medal in bronze, the RHS bronze medal, and the Albert Medal (Sea), bronze for his various rescue feats in 1862 and 1866 in Cork. Deatails as follows:
Donovan was awarded his RHS bronze medal for lifesaving at Ballycroneen when, on 19 October 1862 the brig Industry was wrecked in bad weather. Donovan rushed into the surf and succeeded in carrying a line from the ship to the shore. The case was forwarded to the RHS by Captain J Harvey at the Coastguard Office and the RHS sent Donovan his medal on 19 January 1863 via that office. RHS case no. 17026. The Board of Trade granted him the SGM for the same act, its citation noting how, when the ‘brigantine Industry, of Padstow, having become stranded in Ballycroneen from stress of weather, John Donovan, at great risk, ventured out through the heavy surf and succeeded in conveying a line from the vessel to the shore by which the coastguard lifebelts were hauled on board, and the master and crew brought to shore. Cookson and the other men also exerted themselves to save life’ (Parliamentary Papers, 1863, Vol. 63, p. 235). In addition to the SGM, the Board of Trade granted him a monetary award of two pounds, a further 10s being awarded to each of the other five Ballycroneen coastguards involved, William Cookson, Jeremiah Driscoll, Nicholas Henderson, Patrick Tobin and Sutton Frizzell.

Four years later Donovan earned his Albert Medal, which was one of the first batch ever sanctioned, its award being announced in the London Gazette of 7 June 1867, p. 3226. The citation published therein reads: ‘The Italian barque Thetis, 324 tons, with a crew of eleven, became embayed in Courtmacsherry Bay, Kinsale Head, during a gale on 30 November 1866. She had anchored in a dangerous position surrounded by reefs, and had cut away her masts when she was observed by the coast-guard and fishermen on shore. John Donovan, Chief Boatman-in-Charge of the Old Head Coastguard Station, Kinsale, endeavoured to prevail upon the fishermen, who lined the shore to the number 200, to launch one of their boats, well adapted for service, and already on the strand, for the purpose of rendering assistance, but they refused. Donovan then caused the coast-guard galley to be dragged across the land a distance of one and a half miles, and lowered over a perpendicular cliff about 50 feet in height. When this was done, he and four coast-guard men launched her and proceeded to the vessel. On getting alongside, the galley was capsized and partially stove, but by good management her crew, who had life-jackets on, got on board the barque, where they remained for some hours expecting that she would part her cables, owing to the heavy sea running and a gale blowing on shore. She [the Thetis], however rode until the weather moderated, when the galley was repaired and the crews of the boat and vessel landed together in her’. The coastguards involved received a monetary award of 8s while local civilians received £1 2s 6d in recognition of their assistance (see TNA ref: MT9/30/W4547/66).

In addition to the Albert Medal (named: ‘Wreck of the ‘THETIS’ 30th November 1866. Presented in the name of Her Majesty to John Donovan.’), the SGM and the RHS large bronze medal (named: ‘John Donovan, Commd. Boatman, H.M. Coast Guard, 19 Oct. 1862’), Donovan also received the Naval General Service Medal 1793-1840 with Syria clasp, the Baltic Medal 1854, the Jean D’Acre Medal for Syria and RHS small bronze medal, the latter being a replacement for his original large RHS medal which was initially not intended for worn in uniform. Donovan’s unique group of medals formed part of the W Phillips collection, sold as lot 639 at Glendinings 15-19 June 1925, £18. More recently, the group (including both large and small RHS awards), formed part of the Douglas-Morris collection and is now part of the permanent collection of the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth.

Biographical details: John Donovan was born at Castletown, Co Cork on 12 June 1820. On 4 June 1840, aged 19, he enlisted in the Royal Navy serving in various ships including HMS Belvidera, Gorgon (with which vessel he served during the Syrian crisis), Ceylon, and Rodney. On 8 June 1849 he transferred to the Coast Guard Service, being stationed at Cromarty and then Harwich from 19 September 1849, before moving back to Ireland where he was based at as a Boatman at Poor Head from 16 August 1851. Drafted back into the navy for the Baltic campaign, he served in HMS Royal George from February 1854 to May 1856, being awarded that campaign’s medal. He was present when the Russian brig Patrioten was captured, gaining a share of the prize money awarded for this (London Gazette, 21 July 1857, p. 2517). His conduct at this time was rated as ‘very good’ for the first time, in contrast to a previous record of indifferent behaviour, demotion and transfers. He was then posted Ballycroneen from 14 July 1857 as a Commissioned Boatman, then at Ballygeary from 15 January 1863 as its Chief Boatman, at Robert’s Cove from 21 January 1863, and than at Old Head from 4 November 1864 as its Chief-Boatman-in-Charge. John Donovan retired on pension on 7 May 1872 (TNA ref: ADM 175/7, 19-21, 43, 53, 69, and 70). For further details including a photograph of Donovan wearing his medals see Douglas-Morris (1994, pp. 331-333) and TNA ref: MT9/51/M3936/70 for the Board of Trade discussion at Donovan’s claim of £1 1s expenses for having this photograph taken.

An interesting fellow.

The RNLI award Tony mentioned is to a different John Donovan

Roger
Roger Willoughby

Paul Monod
Thank you very much for this information, Roger, and for the excellent research that lies behind it. It is a remarkable story and one that speaks highly of the bravery, professionalism and seamanship of the 19th-century Irish Coastguards. I am sorry not to be able to claim any family relationship to this John Donovan, but his career of service in both the RN and the Coastguard is very interesting to me in relation to my own ancestors. I was also intrigued by the practice of paying out awards and prize money, which must have meant a lot when Coastguard remuneration was so low--although clearly, no amount of award money could account for the death-defying (and somewhat reckless) heroism of this fellow!
Best wishes,
Paul.

bpa
In the light of the rescue and the payment , there is a curious entry in the ADM 175 document

"ceased pay as sick 28 Nov 1866"
"TM 29 November 1866"

- the rescue was performed on 30 Nov 1866.

Paul you are probably lucky your John Donovan is not from Cork - I have a CG Donovan relative from Timoleague, Cork and there are so many Donovan's it is impossible to identify the right family.

BillC
Hello all. I am new to this site and forum and came across it doing some family research on the Laytown /Nanny Water CG Station.

The family name was Devin. The 1911 and 1901 Census records show them living at Corballis, Laytown Co. Meath. My Grandmother, Mary Ellen Devin was born in the Thatched Cottage on the sea shore in Laytown which was previously part of the CG station. My grandmothers family had leased that cottage for 99 years and only moved out of it back in the early 1980's when my grandmothers sisters became too old and I believe the lease was due to expire. I spent many summers there in my childhood and still visit Laytown occasionally.

My grandmothers, mothers maiden name was Margaret Donovan. She was born in Co Waterford. The 1901 Census return show that her widowed mother, Ellen Donovan, was living there aged 60 at the time. Ellen Donovan was born in Cork. My family was always speaking of a relative named John Donovan who had won one of the first Medals from the RNLI but I do not know the full history. An uncle of mine I believe is still in possession of that medal. The stories of both John Donovan's in the posts is confusing because they all link to Laytown, Cork and Waterford in some way in some way.

Not sure if I have muddled both John Donovan's but I hope this little bit of information may help some more..

liv
Hello BillC,

I know I'm answering a really old post, but I've only just come across it, and I'm hoping you'll read this. I'm researching Ballymacaw Coastguard Station, Co Waterford, and some of the men assigned there from 1820 till it closed.

I found your post in this thread because this week I've been researching your John Donovan, who was the Chief Boatman in Ballymacaw from 1860 to 1864. He was born on 12 Dec 1816 in Castletownshend, Co Cork. He joined the Royal Navy on 28 Oct 1840, serving on Revenue Cruisers Wickham and Amphitrite before being assigned to Misner Haven Coastguard Station (Aldborough) in 1851. He moved to Yarmouth 1855, Schull 1856 (by request), Ballymacaw 1860, promoted to Chief Boatman in Charge at Ferriters Cove 1864, Ballydavid, Castlegregory and Tarbert 1867, Helvick 1868, and finally Nannywater 1870. He was pensioned on 31 Jan 1877, and died in Laytown on 20 Jun 1894, the informant of his death was your great grandmother Margaret Donovan, and Probate went to his widow Ellen.

It's great to get the extra information about him from this thread! I can pass on the Admiralty records I have for him if you like - you can send me a PM with your contact information.

Olivia

Jump to Forum: