View Thread

Print Thread
Henry Browne - Sligo, Wexford, West Cork
djb
Hi,

I have just signed up as a new member and looking for any advise.

This is a wonderful web site and source of information on the Irish Coastguards.

I am searching for any records of a Henry Browne within the Irish Coastguards

Henry Browne and Mary Buckley married in the early 1820s and had 4 known children , Daniel, John Mary Ann and Patrick .
Mary Buckley from Gortbrack, Castlehaven West Cork,

The Brownes (RC) can be found in several records of the early 1800s in West Cork (Castlehaven , Skibbereen and Inishbeg - however no evidence to show where Henry Browne originated from.

Henry's stated occupation as coastguard on his son Patricks’ marriage certificate

We feel that Henry may have come from another Irish or UK coastal base linked to the British admiralty but again despite extensive efforts through the Key admiralty
archives no record has been found to date .

The first official record of Henry and Mary Buckley is linked to the registered birth of their son Daniel Browne in August 1827 on Cape Clear Island.

From the 1901 and 1911 census records indicate Henry's sons John was born in Co.Wexford circa .1828-1830 and Patrick was born in Co.Sligo circa.1844 , these census locations are good indicators Henry moved with the coastguard role . - however no record evidence to back this up.

Appreciate any help or advise in our search of Henry Browne

Best regards Denis

ps, my late father Denis Browne was an active member of the Baltimore rocket team and I am also researching any historical data on same.

crimea1854
Hi Denis

Based on the information you provided I looked at the Index of nominations to the CG service and the CG Establishment Books without any success, however, it is possible your man served on one of the many Revenue Cruisers operating around the coast, so would not appear in either of these sources. That said there are lists of men with substantive rank serving on the RC's in the ADM 175 series, but these do not include those men rated as 'Mariners'.

If you could get to the National Archives @ Kew it might be worth a search of the RC's Muster Books in ADM 119, where all the men are listed. I list below the Stations where the RC's were based, taken from the 1844 Navy List:

Chance - Castle Townsend
Dolphin - Galway
Hamilton - Kilrush
Kite - Dublin
Rrince Albert - Carrickfergus
Royal George - Carrickfergus
Racer - Killibegs
Wickham - Killibegs
Shamrock - Dublin

If it were me I would start with 'Chance' because of the possible link to Cape Clear Island.

The other source worth a look is the Merchant Seaman's Tickets on the pay to view site Find my Past. Despite the name many men serving in the RN & the CG service were issued with these Tickets.

Hope this has been of some help.

Martin

djb
Thanks Martin much appreciate your time and advise, regards Denis

Jump to Forum: