View Thread

Print Thread
Boatman _ Taylor at Cloughey in 1908
willoughr
I'm trying to identify the first name (and hopefully some more details) of a Boatman Taylor who won a French lifesaving medal for a rescue in November 1908 near Cloughey. Can anybody help?

Thanks

Roger

Taylor, -. Boatman, HM Coastguard, Cloughey. French lifesaving medal in silver (2nd class). 14.11.1908. Down.
Award: During a severe gale on 13 November 1908 the barque Croisset went aground on the South Rock, near Cloughey, on the Ards Peninsula. The Cloughey lifeboat, crewed by Taylor and others, went to the scene and despite the severe conditions succeeded in saving the crew of over 20 men during a four hour rescue.
Edited by willoughr on 25/11/2009 11:57
Roger Willoughby

aussienoel
Roger,
Nothing on Taylor so far. The only success I've had is that the full name of one of the other men was a Jesse Solway. He was still a Coastguard at Cloghy in the 1911 census (that's how it was spelled in the census). Unfortunately, Rose and Taylor were no longer stationed at Cloghy in 1911.
Jesse Solway was an ex-navy man, born Shut, Devon, about 1874. He's easy to find on www.ancestry.co.uk in various censuses.
I'll keep looking.
Noel

willoughr
Thanks Noel for this. Hopefully some other reference to him will turn up that mentions his first name.
Roger
Roger Willoughby

enfield
While going through the death certs for the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland I can across Jesse Solway, and put out a Google search for him, and that is how I ended up on this page His information may be of use to you. I have put him forward to the 'In From The Cold Project' but I know he will not be added unless it can be proven he died as a member of the R.N.
Died at the Coastguard Station, Kingstown (Now Dunlaoghaire, County Dublin), on 17/09/1914, from acute nephritis, cardiac dilation, certified. H Woodger, C.P.O., of the same station was present at his death.
Cheers.
Tom.

Carol Johnstone
Apologies, gentlemen, for the late reply, (11 years late!), to this thread.
An old friend recently asked me to research her great grandfather, George Drysdale, for her.
She had little info on him other than that he'd been awarded a medal for a rescue, along with other members of the local RNLI at Portaferry on the Ards peninsula.
It seems he was another of the crew members with your chap, and luckily I came across an excellent site that gave me all the info my friend had asked for, including photos of the men.
It's https://www.portaferrylifeboat.com/history/history.htm; and gives details of the rescue of the 'Croisset' in 1908.
You've probably already found this info yourselves, but if not, then I hope this helps.
Regards,
Carol.

Jump to Forum: