View Thread

Print Thread
Patrick Kelly Fethard
Margaret Morrell
Hi All,

I am desperately seeking any information, clues, inspiration regarding Patrick Kelly Coastguard.I have attached his record from the National Archive, but have a couple of queries, firstly how do I find access the special register mentioned and secondly what does the abbreviation NF mean?
Also there seems to be a discrepancy in his date of birth which is given as 1874, but his age on elistment in 1894 is 16. My Patrick Kelly was born in Fethard in 1871, and I am sure it is the same man confirmed by Coastguard records/census,marriage records. I am confused!

I have found him on the 1911 Census as Coastguard at Dunmore, and he was Coastguard at Penzance in Cornwall in 1906 when his son was born. Rumour has it that he was also stationed in the Aberdeen area.

My main objective is to establish/disprove his connection to John Kelly RNLI, survivor of the Helen Blake Lifeboat tragedy. Family legend has it they were brothers.

Can anyone offer any comments/suggestions where I can look further.

Thanks in advance
Margaret

crimea1854
Margaret

I'm afraid the record was not attached, but I found it on Ancestry. For the register you could try the ADM 175 records available as free downloads off the National Archives website, although I've been singularly unlucky trying to find men on the later records, but you might be more so! If your man's record is there it should provide some family information like gender and dates of birth of children. As to the NF, this refers to his transfer into the New Force at the time of the reductions to the CG Service.

I note from the WW1 medal roll that his medals were sent to the CG at Hove and from his service record that he was awarded the RN Long Service Good Conduct medal in 1909.

Hope this is of some help.
Martin

Margaret Morrell
Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

I have just realised the record didn't attach, and was busy trying to work out how to convert/resize to enable me to post it.Shock

I tried downloading ADM175 last night but it keeps telling me there is an errorAngry

Thank you also for the medal information....and abbreviation translation.

You have been most helpful!

Margaret

crimea1854
Margaret

Like you ADM 175/83A would not download, but I had ADM 175/89 saved on my hard-drive and found his NF record on pdf 154. Although there was no information on any children, his next of kin was given as his wife, Ellen. This record covers his service from 1919 to 1923.

Martin

Margaret Morrell
Thank you again Martin,

I have managed to download 175/89 from TNA, and it confirms him as my man. I have had a quick search of the stations he served at and noted the trouble at Brandon Quay and Ballingall whilst he was there, very interesting!

I can't find much about "Blackrock" station, any idea where this was?

I think I am going to have to reconsider Patrick's connection to John Kelly, as the birth dates don't add up.

Thanks again for helping build a fuller picture of Patrick KellySmile

crimea1854
Blackrock is/was a small village and now a suburb of the City of Cork.

Martin

Margaret Morrell
Thank you

Jump to Forum: