View Thread

Print Thread
Daniel Mahoney Bunmahon 1865 and Kilmore 1874
Michael Foley
This is my first post on this site so forgive me if I get things wrong. I am looking for data on my wife's great grandfather. When his son Timothy got married in Cork in 1897 his name was registered as Daniel O'Mahony, Excise officer, but his name on his grave is Daniel Mahony and I am convinced that a Daniel Mahoney, coast guard in Bunmahon and father of Timothy Mahoney in 1865 in Timothy's birth registration is the same man. It was common practice to drop the 'O' and make other changes. I have searched the database but no sign of a Daniel Mahoney or Daniel O'Mahony in either of those places. There was a Daniel Mahony in Kilkee, but that was from the 1901 census and I believe my Daniel was dead by then. Any help would be appreciated. I attach the birth registration screen grab.

Thanks in advance, Michael

crimea1854
Michael firstly an apology for the rather tardy reply.

I'm not sure how much the following will help, but it might provide a clue or location for further research.

Daniel Mahoney was first nominated to the CG service in July 1857 from HMS Colossus, with a posting to Tower 31 in England (ADM 175/7 pdf 178). In 1860 he was transferred to Bunmahon (ADM 175/19 pdf 73).
He was subsequently promoted to Comm. Boatman and transferred to Dunmore in Feb 1869.

Looking at the Ship's Establishment Book for the LImerick CG District he gave his place of birth as Cork in 1828 (ADM 175/52 pdf 149). This particular record also shows that he signed up for Cont. Service in 1 May 1864 for 10 years and gives his service number as 29905. A subsequent check of the service records on the National Archives website (incorrectly) has his service number as 29995A. However, a later record shows the original number and has him pensioned off on 30 April 1878.

Interestingly this later record shows he previously signed on for CS in 1853 with the service number CS 5110. Looking at this record on the NA website has him being born in Knockaville, Cork, 1 May 1829.

One final piece of information that needs confirmation, I believe he served on HMS Ajax during the Crimean War, being awarded the Baltic Medal, which was sent to HMS Colossus in 1857.

Hope the above is of some help.

Martin

Michael Foley
Martin, apologies for only seeing this now and thank you so much! I think that you have found the right man. His son Timothy was born in Bunmahon in 1865 and his daughter Teresa in Dunmore in November 1869. Subsequently his son Charles Humprey was born in Kilmore in 1874 and then his son Francis in Cork in 1880, which fits with his being pensioned in 1878, although I think he became an Excise Officer then.

Your information is invaluable. Can I ask how you accessed this data. Did you have to research it in Kew?

I may come back to you as I absorb this new information. Confirmation of the Crimea service would be wonderful.

Michael

crimea1854
Michael

The ADM 175 documents are available as free downloads from the National Archives website, but a word of caution they are rather large files. The service records are also available from the NA, but for each of these there is a small fee, however, you should note that none of these records contain further family information although would confirm his Crimea service.

Martin

Michael Foley
Thanks Martin,

I came back to this thread just now to let you know that I had discovered how to access the archives. Your references to ADM 175 records and the various pdf numbers were invaluable. I've been downloading them and inserting jpegs of them into my family narrative. I did buy one record though and it confirmed that he was on the HMS Ajax during the Bombardment of Bomarsund in the Baltic. So that made it worthwhile. The condition of the record was very poor however, almost black in places, so I did not get much more info from it, although some other ships names were legible, including Colossus. I meant to tell you earlier that I have confirmed with 100% certainty that I have the right man, and have even stood by his graveside in Cork (he died in 1902).

One more piece of information I'd like to tell you. A humble boatman he may have been, and probably joined the Navy at Queenstown (now Cobh) in Cork, but his son Timothy John, born in Bunmahon CG station, did him proud by becoming a member of the Cork Harbour Commissioners in 1905! He was the board member who proposed the invitation to Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty to visit Cork harbour, which he did in 1912. Quite amazing.

Thanks for everything - your help was key to filling out the story of my kids' great-great-grandfather.

Michael

crimea1854
Michael

Thanks for coming back with an update, so often I provide information and then never hear the final story. I’m pleased the Forum proved so useful and I wish you well with any further research.

Martin

DanielORaw
Hi Michael,

I'm looking for my ancestor, who is John Mahoney. He was born in Queenstown (Cobh) presumably around 1858. On his marriage cert (To: Elizabeth Callaghan) in 1885 his father is Daniel Mahoney, put down as a "Gardiner" it looks like.

John Mahoney was a Coast Guard in multiple places including: Penzance, Cornwall; Picklecombe Fort; Queenstown, Cork; and listed as a sailor in the Royal Navy on multiple documents.

I also have multiple records for the Merchant Navy and The Royal Artillery which I believe is the same John Mahoney.

My problem is I cannot find his birth cert or any record of who his mother is or any siblings.

I was hoping he would share the same parents are Timothy, Teresa and Charles H. in Daniel and Mary (Regan) But I am not confident that is the case. I do however believe they are cousins or some relation.

John married Elizabeth Callaghan in Cork, in 1885. They had two children in Cork (christina 1886, Daniel 1887) they then moved to Penzance, Cornwall where John was a coast guard there and also in the Royal Artillery, they had (John 1889, William 1889, Jeremiah 1893, Frederick 1895 (my Great Grandfather) ) they then moved back to Ireland (Rathdrum, Wicklow) in 1896 where they had Charles Michael in 1896.

They lived in Clogher, Louth and Clontarf, Dublin (1901 & 1911 census)

After 1911 I dont have much information on John other than he NOT mentioned as "dead" on Frederick's marriage cert (1926).

Any info will be helpful, Thank you.
Daniel O'Raw (Grandmother was born Mahoney)

Jump to Forum: