View Thread

Print Thread
Michael Hall & Hamilton Keown
Lesley Brook
I am researching both the above coastguards, Michael Hall was in the coastguard service 1836 to 1853, Hamilton Keown from 1821 to 1846. Michael married Hamilton's daughter. I would be interested in hearing from any one else researching these surnames, I believe other family members were in the navy and/or coastguard too.

willoughr
Given the unusual name, I am detailing below some info on a Hamilton Keown who may be related to your man of the same name.

Regards

Roger

Keown, Hamilton. AB, HMS Hercules. RHS bronze medal. 26.8.1871. Cork.
Award: At 7.30am on 26 August 1871 John Beesnahan (55), from Dunbar Street, got into difficulty in the sea at Cork, the water being some 14 feet deep. Able Seaman Keown (25) jumped off the quay and swam to Beesnahan, who was by then apparently dead, and then swam back about 40 yards to the shore with him. Beesnahan was then taken to the North Infirmary, where he was treated by Dr J C Holland. The rescue was brought to the attention of the RHS by Patrick Parrill. The Society, granting its bronze medal to Keown (see The Times, Tuesday 24 October 1871, p. 8 for its announcement), sent this to the Admiralty on 29 November 1871 for them to organise a local presentation. RHS case no. 18790.

Biographical details: Born on 24 January 1846 in Portsea, Portsmouth, Hamilton Keown was the son of Henry Keown (a Royal Naval Gunner, born in Ireland in about 1820) and his wife Louisa Ann. Joining the Royal Navy as a Boy (2nd Class) aboard HMS Victory on 29 July 1861, he agreed to serve for 10 years continuous service as from age 18 (CS no. 18495A). He moved to HMS Phoebe on 1 January 1862, being promoted to Boy (1st Class) on 20 September that year. He was then promoted Ordinary Seaman (2nd Class) on 6 March 1864, Ordinary Seaman (1st Class) on 3 July that year, and Able Seaman on 1 January 1865. He transferred as such to HMS Arethusa on 2 May 1866, HMS Excellent on 8 January 1869, and HMS Hercules on 11 March 1870. In the summer of 1871 he was sentenced to several weeks in prison. Promoted to Leading Seaman on 1 October 1873, 22 other postings following over the next 12 years. During this time Keown was demoted to Able Seaman for a time, lost good conduct payments, and in the summer of 1876 spent 28 days in Lewes prison. Whatever the cause of these difficulties, Keown regained his rank of Leading Seaman on 16 April 1880 and was further promoted to Petty Officer (2nd Class) on 28 July that year and Petty Officer (1st Class) on 19 March 1881. Finally, on 18 September 1885 Keown was pensioned. He married Elizabeth Wavell in 1889 (Portsea Register’s District, July-Sept 1889, vol. 2b, p. 824). By 1901 Keown was living at 124 High Street, Portsmouth, with his wife Elizabeth (51) and was noted on that year’s census as being a RN pensioner and working as a caretaker. He had in fact returned to RN employ from January to March that year aboard HMS Duke of Wellington as an AB (pensioner) (TNA ref: ADM 139/585 and ADM 188/13). In 1911 Keown and his wife were noted on the census as visiting Selina White, at 48 Charlton Street, Landport, Portsmouth (they appear as ‘Known’ on the census, which describes them as having been married for 42 years and having no children).
Roger Willoughby

Lesley Brook
Sorry for delay in replying Roger. I have seen your post, thanks very much. I think Hamilton Keown b 1846 is a nephew of my man but not proven yet.
Lesley

Jump to Forum: