View Thread

Print Thread
john evans coatguard ventry...
neil16377
hi all
im hoping someone can help me fill i the blanks in my family history research.
i have a great x4 grandfather (john evans) that was stationed in ventry as a coastguard, i have gathered that he married a welsh woman frin beumaris and had 3 children
harriott;grace;and john i will post his service records below' but in short all i have is sarah his wife is a widow and living in north wales in 1851 census.
with the children' i do nit know john evans nationality where he died, where the kids were born ect. i hope anyone can help in my search. regards neil.

Ref : pg 176 / ADM 175-16
Station : Ballydavid
date removed :
from station : J.B. (? F.B.) same notation for 6 others at Ballydavid
Name/Rank : John Evans / Boatman
Reason :removed
Date Discharge/Removal : 31 May 1826
to Station : Dingle

Ref : pg 179 / AD 175-16
Station : Dingle
date removed : 31 May 1826
from station : CGS Ballydavid
Reason : removed
Date Discharge/Removal : 10 Oct 1827
to Station : Ventry

pg 170 / AD 175-16
Station : Ventry
date removed : 10 Oct 1827
from station : Dingle
Reason : -
Date Discharge/Removal : -
to Station : -
Notes : -

pg 165 / ADM

Reason : Died
Date Discharge/Removal : 31 July 1843[?]
to Station :

I'm not sure what the notation under 'from' on the initial Ballydavid record stands for - I'd suggest a posting on the Coastguards of Yesteryear website to ask the experts there, include the references above.

The Church of Ireland marriage records for Ventry parish only go back to 1845 - early records for the parish were apparently lost during the civil war.

The baptism for Harriott Elizabeth Evans seems to be listed under Dingle rather than Ventry parish. (this entry is about half way down on the right hand page) There are a number of other baptisms on the same page which mention coastguards.

crimea1854
Hi Neil

I'm afraid I can't take you a great deal further forward, but I might add a little to your knowledge.

FB is Former Book and indicates that your man can be found in ADM 175/15 (pdf 347) at Ballydavid. This shows that he was nominated to the CG Service from the Revenue Cruiser Success in 1821.

I did also look at ADM 175/99 (pdf32), which is the index of nominations for Ireland. This shows that he was paid off from Success on the 28 Sept 1821 and nominated to the CGS on 19 Oct 1821. Frustratingly his place of birth on this record is blank, but it does give his age as 33.

Other than this I don't know what to suggest.

Martin

neil16377
thank you for your reply. superb. is there any way of seeing the records?
thanks so very much.

neil

crimea1854
Neil

Both these records are available as free downloads off the National Archives website.

Martin

neil16377
can i be cheeky and ask for the links please?

thanks so much

crimea1854
http://discovery....mp;_st=adv

neil16377
cound you possibly send me the link to this piece please? i notice that he died here, will there be a reason for his death? also, what exactly would have been his job? cheers/thank you

pg 165 / ADM

Reason : Died
Date Discharge/Removal : 31 July 1843[?]
to Station :
Edited by neil16377 on 13/05/2017 18:34

crimea1854

You need to look at pdf 155.

They are not available online, but if you could get access to the Navy Lists for the 1820's this could provide a clue as to where the Revenue Cruiser Success was stationed. As an example the 1814 list has her on the Plymouth Station, identifying a location might help you find more family information.

Martin

neil16377
Bump

Jump to Forum: