View Thread

Print Thread
Chief Boatman Minards and Ross
Minard
Hi I'm a Newbie looking for help. I'm looking for information on Robert McKibben and his time in the Coast Guard. According to his RN Service Record he was CH Boatman between 1 Jan 1873 and 24 Nov 1883, when he was pensioned off. The Record shows Valiant (CG) Minards Chf Btmn in charge TM ( 1 Apr 1876- 24 Nov 1883):at the bottom of the page there is also: Valiant Minards: Valiant Ross (1 Jan 73- 27 Nov 74) Ch Btmn TM: Ditto (28 Nov 74- 5 Jan 75) Ch Btmn in charge: Ditto Minard (6 Jan 75 - 31 Mar 76) Ch Btmn in charge.
As I said, any info on Robert and/ or the Stations would be most welcome.
Thanks

crimea1854
Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

I am guessing, and forgive me if I’m wrong, but I suspect you have downloaded Robert McKibbens RN service record from the National Archives website. This particular series of documents (ADM 188) only starts in 1873, although I have noticed that the earlier series (ADM 139) is gradually being added to the online documents. Since Robert was pensioned in 1883 he must have had at least ten years earlier RN service prior to 1873 to qualify for a pension.

If you are lucky and he signed up for Continuous Service, in the top left hand corner of his 1873 service record there should be a date and a CS number. From this it would be possible to order his earlier record. These records were in three series and are identified by no suffix, or the suffixes ‘A’ & ‘B’ e.g. 34412, 34412A and 34412B. If this number is present it is important to use these suffixes when researching further.

However, if there is no number present it will involve a trip to the NA at Kew and a search of Valiant’s Ships Record Books (ADM 175/54 & 55) to see if these have any additional information. I have looked at the NA’s online catalogue, but unfortunately there does not appear to be a Description Book for Valiant during this period, because this would have provided details of previous service.

HMS Valiant herself was an 18-gun broadside, ironclad frigate, originally launched in October 1863 and for much of the period you’re interested in operated in the River Shannon area. She had a long life, only being scrapped in 1956, although from 1924 she was an oil hulk.

One last point, I checked the Genuki website of British Coastguards, and there is a William McKibben, born Ireland 1799, who had a son named Robert, but he was born in 1839 in Fife, but it might be worth a look to see if there are other details that perhaps tie the families together.

http://www.genuki...s/M-O.html

Hope this has been of some help.

Regards Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 29/08/2008 21:44

Tony
Hi,
I have a small list of Naval Pensioners living near Coastguard stations that I gathered during the time I was collecting 1901 and 1911 Census returns. Some of these pensioners have turned out to be ex Coastguards.
1901 Co.Kerry Census Returns. 115/19. no.26.
Robert McKibbon. Head of family Religion Roman Catholic. Age 44. Naval Pensioner. Married. Born England.
Margaret McKibbon. Wife. R.C. 36. Married. Born Co.Kerry.
Margaret McKibbon. Dau. 6. scholar. Born England.
Frances McKibbon. Dau. 4. Born Co.Kerry.
Hanorah McKibbon. Dau.3. Born Co.Kerry.
Alice McKibbon. Dau. 1yr. Born Co.Kerry.
Reference; National Archives. Bishop St. Dublin.
I do not have any photograph of Manard Coastguard station as I was unable to locate it on my tours around the Irish coasts.
If the family remained in Ireland it is possible thay they could be recorded in the 1911 Census in the National archives, Dublin.
Regards
Tony

Minard
Hi Tony and Martin
Thank you for your “Welcomes” and the very helpful information.
Robert was born in Newcastle, Ireland according to his RN service record. With the concentration of activity around the Shannon, his wife was from the Ballylongford area, I have taken it to be what is now known as Newcastle West, Limerick (I believe it started out as Newcastle, West Limerick). He was born there on 30 November 1828. His record shows FE 1846 and that he had been a fisherman. There is a CS number, 25244 without a suffix. He married Margaret Vaughan, the daughter of Ulick Vaughan. I believe that they had at least 2 children, Robert born 8 February 1857 in Gosport and William Ulick born 7 March 1858 at Studland, Dorset. Both of them were in the RN and Robert’s dob ties in with Tony’s 1901 Census information (so Thanks for that).
I think that I’ve “found” Minard and Ross, both of them are on Dingle Bay. Minard Head is on the North shore about 52deg 06’ N 10deg 10’ W and Ross (Ross Behy) is on the South shore about 52deg 02’ N 10deg 0’ W. Satellite photos don't show much, so could they have been just anchorages for the Valiant?
Anyway, thanks again.
Regards
Peter
PS Ooops, Re Ross, I've just seen Tony's photos
Edited by Minard on 02/09/2008 19:40

Toffee Man
Just seen this thread - and I'm glad I did as it contained some great additional information on Robert McKibben whose long service & good conduct medal I proudly hold.

As mentioned above, Robert joined the RN in 1846 and he served on the following ships:

Bloodhound 5/8/1845 – 28/12/1848 Boy 1st Class / Ord
Centaur 29/12/48 – 1/7/51 AB
Vengeance 25/8/1 – 26/4/55 AB
Russell 27/4/55 – 16/5/56 AB / Leading seaman Nile 17/5/56 – 20/4/57 Quartermaster
Victory 21/4/57 – 4/5/57 Quartermaster

On Centaur he was involved in operations against the slave traders of West Africa - she captured at least five slaving vessels during his service on her.

On Vengeance he saw action in the Crimean war with Russia - and was part of the Naval Brigade which earned him the Crimean medal with clasps for Sebastapol & Inkermann as well as the Turkish Crimea Medal. He also saw action in the Baltic on Russell and earned the Baltic Medal.

I knew of his son Robert but not of William so I'll have to do some more digging.

Thanks Smile

Jon

mckibben
Tony wrote:

Hi,
I have a small list of Naval Pensioners living near Coastguard stations that I gathered during the time I was collecting 1901 and 1911 Census returns. Some of these pensioners have turned out to be ex Coastguards.
Robert McKibbon. Head of family Religion Roman Catholic. Age 44. Naval Pensioner. Married. Born England.
I do not have any photograph of Manard Coastguard station as I was unable to locate it on my tours around the Irish coasts.
If the family remained in Ireland it is possible thay they could be recorded in the 1911 Census in the National archives, Dublin.
Regards
Tony

Merged on 12/09/2011 00:20:33:
Tony wrote:
Hi: I am a descendant of Robert McKibben and according to the family tree is the following:
Robert McKibben born 1858,Gosport,Portsmouth.married Margeret Shine from Ballylongford. Their children were Mary, Francis, Nora, Alice,Robert, Hannah John.
Robert McKibben was the second generation. His Father,Robert Mckibben also a Naval Officer was born in 1831 in Newcstle co.Down and married a Margeret Vaughan from Ballylongford. I can also follow up on to the fifth generation right up to my Great grandchildren should anyone be interested with the facts. Thank you for your information now I can relate to your research to the family genealogy
Keith
hi,
Regards
Tony

Merged on 12/09/2011 03:55:18:
Hi: My name is Keith Mckibben and I am a direct descendant of Robet McKibben. According to your information and comparing it to a family tree developed by Hugh McKibben of Pensylvania in 1937 Robert was born in 1831 and his wife Margeret was born in1824.They were married in1851 and Robert died in 1890, However, it appears Robert,s Birth of 1828 is more accurate. Their children according to the tree indicates Robert was born in 1858 and Ulick in 1859, again, however, your dates seem to be more accurate. Robert eventually had 7 chidren and Ulick who joined the Navy was drowned off the coast of Australia.Robert also joined the Brish Nave and had a distinguished career.. He died in 1923. I have continued the family tree and am now up to the 5th generation. Most of the McKibbens are buried in Ballylongford. I appreciate the information and thank you for your valuable research.
Regards
Keith McKibben

Hi Tony and Martin
Thank you for your “Welcomes” and the very helpful information.
Robert was born in Newcastle, Ireland according to his RN service record. With the concentration of activity around the Shannon, his wife was from the Ballylongford area, I have taken it to be what is now known as Newcastle West, Limerick (I believe it started out as Newcastle, West Limerick). He was born there on 30 November 1828. His record shows FE 1846 and that he had been a fisherman. There is a CS number, 25244 without a suffix. He married Margaret Vaughan, the daughter of Ulick Vaughan. I believe that they had at least 2 children, Robert born 8 February 1857 in Gosport and William Ulick born 7 March 1858 at Studland, Dorset. Both of them were in the RN and Robert’s dob ties in with Tony’s 1901 Census information (so Thanks for that).
I think that I’ve “found” Minard and Ross, both of them are on Dingle Bay. Minard Head is on the North shore about 52deg 06’ N 10deg 10’ W and Ross (Ross Behy) is on the South shore about 52deg 02’ N 10deg 0’ W. Satellite photos don't show much, so could they have been just anchorages for the Valiant?
Anyway, thanks again.
Regards
Peter
PS Ooops, Re Ross, I've just seen Tony's photos[/quote]
Edited by mckibben on 12/09/2011 03:55

bpa

OSI map for 1860s shows a proper station at Minard Head. Satellite just show the boathouse remaining.

See
http://maps.osi.i...599175,7,9
Click on Historic 25" for 1860, Historic 6' for 1840s and Ortho for satellite.

killultagh
My Great x 3 Grandfather was Thomas McKibbon. All I know from looking at my Great x 2 Grandparents marriage certificate in 1853 was that Jane McKibbon's father was Thomas McKibbon a Coast Guard. Jane at the time was residing in Lurgan at the time, I've no idea why, but my Great Aunt mentions staying with McKibbon cousins in Newcastle, Co. Down.

Incidently when researching I came across a William McKibbon from Co. Down who was a Coast Guard / Boatman living in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland.

Name: William Mckibbin
Estimated birth year: abt 1798
Relationship: Head
Spouse: Jane Mckibbin
Where born: Down, Ireland
Parish Number: 453
Civil Parish: St Andrews
County: Fife
Address: Abby Street

Merged on 29/07/2016 08:47:28:
From this site I can take an educated guess that the following is my Thomas McKibbon, however, I would love to know more such as wife, family etc. Would this information be available anywhere?

Category Surname Christian name
ADM Records McKibbon Thomas

Rank Station/Cruizer Date of Seniority ADM Cat Born Died
Boatman Newcastle* ADM 175/102

Detail: Date of discharge: 22 Nov.1857
Additional Information:
Died

http://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/records_list.php?page=rec_id&id=2939
Edited by killultagh on 29/07/2016 08:47

Jump to Forum: