View Thread

Print Thread
Ross Coastguard Station, Killala
Steve Dunford
Hi Folks, great site-just wondering would any of your contributors/members have any old photos of Ross Station near Killala, county Mayo, or members who served there. Sincerely Steve Dunford, Killala.

Tony
Hello Steve,
Thank you for your kind comments on my site. During the 1990's I toured all around the Irish coasts and managed to locate 165 of the 220 British Coastguard stations. They were all in
isolated areas and difficult to locate. The 1865 station had builders working there and I was able to get a few interior shots. A short distance before I reached the larger station some old cottages were under reconstruction and I was also told that they were part of an earlier station.
I do not have earlier pictures of the station I have copies of the 1901 and 1911 census records of the station. Is your interest generally in the station or of the Coastguards at the station?

Regards
Tony Daly

Steve Dunford
Hi Tony,
thanks for your prompt reply. I live in Killala and I'm doing a little piece on the Coastguard Station at Ross and was just wondering if you had any old unpublished pics. (There is a nice shot of the station taken by Thomas Wynne in 1888? which is in the collection of the Nat Library which I've attached) I would appreciate copies of the census forms which you mentioned if its not too much trouble.
Kind Regards
Steve Dunford
Steve Dunford attached the following image:
coastguard_station.jpg

louisemobrien
Hello, my great, great, great grandfather John Vaughan (b 1801) was stationed at Ross coast guard station from 1844-1859, from where he then was discharged on superannuation (I assume, retired). I have copies of some of the records from the National Archives, ADM 175, and also a Griffiths Evaluation from 1856 which lists the others who resided at the coast guard station. His son (also John, b.1832 in Co. Kerry) resided in Killala when he was not at sea himself. The only photo I have is the old one that you show above.
Regards, Louise

johnb
hi everyone, my grt grt grt granddad, Robert Bennett, served at the Ross coastguard station. He liked the area so much he stayed there after retirement until his death in 1883, (at 103 yrs old). Any info would be most welcome. Don't know when he was there but his first child was not born in killala but his second was, in 1843.
john bennett

crimea1854
John welcome to the Forum.

Your man turned out to be a bit of a puzzle. The story starts with the nomination of a Robert Bennett in Sept 1829 while he was serving as an Extra Man at Harwich with a posting to Rutland CGS (Ireland) (ADM 175/16 pdf 346). From this I am inclined to think that he was a local Essex man working in Harwich who managed to secure a permanent CG post on the establishment.

He never actually took up the posting at Rutland because it was altered to Dalkey on 17 Oct 1829. Subsequently he was removed to Baldoyle (ADM 175/16 pdf4) then, on the 10 Oct 1831 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman with a posting to Dublin North/Clantorf (ADM 175/16 pdf490).

It's now that our problems start, since he does not look to have taken up this posting and disappears from the Establishment Books, however, it could be that I have not found him!

I next locate him at Ross CGS in 1851 where he is shown as a Permanent Extra Man (ADM 175/19 pdf 279) this is a significant demotion, but there is an intriguing note showing that he first entered the CGS in 1829, so I'm quite confident it is the same man. There was a subsequent posting to Belderig, with his discharge in 1857 (ADM 175/19 pdf 272).

As far as the CG records are concerned there is a 20 year period for which his service is unaccounted for. I can only assume he left the CGS and entered the Navy. ADM 175/102 - the discharge book - suggests he had previously served on HMS Malacca, but this needs further investigation.

So where from here? If it were me I would do a search of Malacca's Description Book, but this can only be done in person at the National Archives. If you have a subscription to Find my Past I would look at the Merchant Seaman's Tickets for a likely candidate, since it might provide further clues - these were issued to CG and men in the RN as well as merchant seamen.

Hope the above has been of some interest and help.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 21/01/2017 09:40

johnb
Martin thank you very much for this information. I can add that in griffiths valuation 1857 Robert Bennett was tenant on a piece of land less than half a mile from the costguard station (Ross Goodwin) He apparently lived to 103 Born in 1780 died in 1883. He had one child prior to arriving in Killala and four born in Killala. My grt grt granddad, his son, francis Henry left home at 12 with his elder brother George 16 and travelled to New York. Before marrying a liverpool girl in New York and returning to Liverpool were the rest of my ancestors are from.

Merged on 25/01/2017 15:13:36:
Martin another bit of information you may be able to clear up. I have visited the Coastguard station in Killala (Ross) it has been refurbished and is now a number of modernised town houses. For sale actually. However in an earlier map the station is shown further around the coast towards Killala only about 3 or 4 hundred yards but clearly not the same building as it shows an angled building not the straight station that now exists. Do you know when the station was built to the new design?? As I pictured my ancestors playing aroun d the existing building. I would like this clarifying please.
Edited by johnb on 25/01/2017 15:13
john bennett

crimea1854
John

There is this information on the site, but I admit it's only my conversance with the website that I knew where to look! It's in the 'download' section under Coastguard Station Books - Mayo. This has the station that existed in the early 1900's built around 1865.

Martin

johnb
Can anyone tell me what is the significance of a tick with a line through it in the ADM records. Particularly in the field date of discharge with no other entries on the line
john bennett

crimea1854
I suspect this indicates that the man was at the same station at the time the next Establishment Book was opened.

Martin

johnb
Hi Martin once again I am at a dead end.... I have found Robert Bennett in many of the years between 1851 Ross and 1831. I found his record in Dublin North follwed by Corton/Camber/Dungeness/Winclesea/Lowestoft/Fairlight/Yamouth1843/then a bit of a gap to 1851. Its been a really interesting journey for me. I also found naval records for a robert bennett starting in 1819 on HMS Conqueror (1yr9m15days) then HMS Cambrian, 2 spells 5/nov/'20 to 2/apr/'23 as able seaman, and 3/apr/'23 to 5/july/'24 as watch captain main top. (total time 5yrs 5months which ties in with later records on HMS MALACCA which also says he was coastguard in Lowestoft in 1845) Image 15 in ADM 175/99 shows him as probationer in Harwich but I cannot decipher the opposite page any help would be appreciated. Also there are many entries in the records which I cannot work out, namely the ones that look like fractions 7010/29 i assume the year is the 29 but the other number escapes me...Thanks for running such a fantastic wewbsite..

John Bennett
john bennett

crimea1854
John

Congratulations on finding your man at North Dublin, it had me beat!

The ref 7010/29 is to an Admiralty letter sent in 1829, hence the 29 in the reference. Most of this correspondence has been 'weeded', but if it does exist it will be in series ADM 1 at the National Archives, although these are notoriously difficult to understand.

I've looked at 175/99 and believe it is the name of the Inspecting Officer a Captain Slaughter.

Finally, thanks for your kind words about the site, but it's actually run by Tony Daly, I only try to help with requests on the Forum when I can.

Martin

johnb
Any help please. in ADM 175/6 image 631 it shows my ancestor twice, top of page under Chief boatman, and at bottom under commissioned boatmen. Is it just an error that the writer noticed and corrected or something else. Also why Fairlight 97 ? neither does it say where he was posted next?
john bennett

crimea1854
Despite numerous attempts and emails to the National Archives I remain unable to download ADM 175/6, so am unable to answer your question on the record.

In the past I've found that when a station is given and a number, i.e. 97 in your case, this refers to a folio number and can provide a quick way to trace the next record. Also, as a general rule, when no further station is given this indicates that the man remained at that station when the next Establishment Book was opened, so look at the same station in the next book and you should find him.

Martin

johnb
Another quick (possibly) question. I am getting tied in knots over my man and have almost come to the conclusion there are two robert bennetts. The coastguard daisy chain looks pretty conclusive but then stuff like the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Census's have confusing information about a Robert Bennett in the coastguard in fairlight (1841) where we expect him, married to a Mary, no children. 1851 kessingland (not found him here yet, looking now) married to Elizabeth, and in 1861 now discharged, still in east anglia (Ipswich) and still with Elizabeth. Where my other information has him settling in Killala after his discharge with children born and registered in Killala parish. I know some of this may not be checkable but in your experience does it make sense or is the two Robert Bennett theory the only one.??? thanks again for all your help.. Another possibility is father and son. As there is some confusion over his age. How strict where they on age of discharge and age at start of career.?
john bennett

crimea1854
Without access to ADM 175/6 I'm not able to check the continuity of service, but on the basis that you have, I am tempted to offer the following as a theory.

Robert was initially discharged in May 1851 while serving in England, the other record has him taking up a post of Extra Man in Ireland in August of the same year. If it is the same man it would explain the apparent demotion, because he has taken up this post as a pensioner. Since he is then subsequently shown as being discharged in 1857 there would be sufficient time for him to return to Suffolk to appear in the 1861 census, but as I say just a theory.

johnb
many thanks martin .... that sounds very feasible... i will let you help some other lost folks for a while.....or will I ???
john bennett

Jump to Forum: