View Thread

Print Thread
Balbriggan
rvtrussell
My great grandfather Edward Trussell (born 1849 Rotherhithe) was stationed at Balbriggan between May 1876 and 1886. He served on; Iron Duke, 1876-77, Topaze 1877-78, Belleisle 1878-84, where he is rated "Boatman" - and C'd Boatman whilst on the Belleisle.

He had been discharged AB from HMS Aurora to the Coast Guard in 1876 and in between his Coast Guard service above, for some reason he was posted AB onto HMS Hecate " " for five months April-August 1878.

During his service in Ireland, whilst serving on HMS Iron Duke, Edward returned to London (Bermondsey) to get married in September 1876. Five of his children, including my grandfather were subsequently born at Balbriggan prior to the families eventual return to London (Deptford) in 1876, where another four children were added to the family.

As Edward's wife obviously moved over to Balbriggan, and the children's Balbriggan baptism records show Edward's residence as "Coast Guard Station, Balbriggan" I was wondering how that worked, though recorded as "boatman"on all of the ships (except Hecate) ... I guess he would have spent much of his time aboard. How would this have worked, re living arrangements for his family?

I guess what I am saying is how is it Edward was a boatman "on ships" but living in Coast Guard accommodation?

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid you have made a common mistake. Each of the CG Districts had an older warship as an HQ; although these ships had a small standing crew most of the men shown against their 'Ships Establishment Books' worked at land based CG Stations. Ireland had two such ships, one for Kingstown and the other for the Limerick Districts.

Although most of the CGs worked at land based stations they were still expected to serve on these ships during training cruises, and in the event of a national crisis these ships would have worked together as part on an inshore squadron defending home waters.

I would suggest that you look at ADM 175/44 pdf 181 & 175/45 pdf 188. These are available as free downloads from the National Archives and record your mans service at Balbriggan.

Martin

Jump to Forum: